FORUMS: list search recent posts

DCP to Bluray/DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt king
DCP to Bluray/DVD
on Dec 3, 2012 at 4:26:40 pm

Hi,

I have a client that wants me to build their DVD and Bluray from A DCP file.
in the past i have got them to put it to tape and then hardware encode but finally they have decided that they have a digital copy and that should be good enough, they don't want the extra expense.

But i cannot find any software that will encoded it, some encoders wont see the file, some see it but wont encode and other just shut/crash at the sight of it....

most software that i can find goes to DCP not from DCP.

any ideas?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: DCP to Bluray/DVD
on Dec 3, 2012 at 5:15:48 pm

Encoders won't accept that. Youll need to ask them to deliver on tape or an uncompressed file

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
on Dec 3, 2012 at 10:21:42 pm

Usually it's a good moment to capture the movie also to file when the DCP will be created. It's simply careless not doing this. The lack of it can't be compensated easy. So your client will realize that it's cheaper to create a file version too in the DCP creation process than doing BluRay encoding from a reverse engineered master.

A genereal question comes up, what kind of DCP is it? Is it encoded to JPEG2000 or to a non DCI-conform MPEG MXF?

If you have access to Pro Media Carbon & the DCP is not encrypted you can try one of the following routes:
1st route = conversion via ffmpeg to V210 at 10bit
2nd route = conversion via VirtualDub (with ffmpeg input plugin) to any other AVI codec (depends on the installed codecs, sadly 8bit processing only)

For JPEG2000 sources you must convert the color space from CieXYZ to RGB color space. I have in mind that this can be done by ProMedia Carbon. FFMPEG sadly has no XYZ to RGB conversion fiter.

ProMedia is sadly a very expensive tool but may it will earns its money if you get such sources more often.

Andreas

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Dec 4, 2012 at 2:04:58 am

That's a great post but I think the OP should do everyone a favor and just request a 1920x1080 23.98 uncompressed file.

If they can deliver a DCP file they can surely do that as well

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
on Dec 4, 2012 at 2:57:19 am

That is indeed the best way :)

Andreas

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Dec 4, 2012 at 8:02:40 am

Matt,
if you are willing to send the DCP to germany (via UPS or any other courier-service) I could create a BD out of it, as I got Frauenhofer EasyDCP+. Even if it is encrypted I could decrypt it with the right KDM.

the entire process will take approx 2-3 days + shipment

please contact me off-list at info (├Ąt) moviedesign.de

cu

danny

Return to posts index

Matt king
on Dec 4, 2012 at 10:35:17 am

Thanks all,

to sum up

The best thing in the future would be getting the client to sort out an encodable file at the same time as creating a DCP, but currently they have a DCP which is my problem so will have to reverse engineer it!!!

I think DCP files are new for a lot of my clients (independent film producers/directors)and they are not technically minded so don't really know what it is. they just think it is a file like any other.

thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]