FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC 480x720 3:2 Footage -- What Settings to Edit at for DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Mailer
NTSC 480x720 3:2 Footage -- What Settings to Edit at for DVD?
on Nov 26, 2012 at 12:37:38 pm

Hi, if I understand right, I should edit at 720x? or 1080x? for eventual best results on DVD or HDTV.

The thing is, when I turn 480 to 1080, then 720 goes to 1620 to maintain the same proportions and that doesn't seem to be a standard resolution setting. It's typically 1080x1440 or 1080x1920...

I get similar problems with 720x1080...

Some of the footage at 480x720 isn't great in terms of resolution, but I don't want my titles to be that mushy and pixelated in the final product.

What settings would you suggest editing at in FCP?

I am currently working at 1080x1620, but I am afraid I am wasting my time and will have to do another conversion at the end.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: NTSC 480x720 3:2 Footage -- What Settings to Edit at for DVD?
on Nov 26, 2012 at 4:46:37 pm

Hi Bryan,

I think you have your numbers flipped, as NTSC and DVD are both 720x480. And that is what you should edit at. There is no advantage to converting to HD, will soften and pixelate your footage. Also, ALL HD formats are widescreen, which is why your numbers are not coming out correctly when you try to upscale.

Just make a high quality DVD, and Blu-ray players and *most* new DVD players have hardware upscaling built-in that will do a nice job of converting your DVD to HD via HDMI out to your display.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 27, 2012 at 2:08:28 am

Thanks. That reply actually clarifies a number of the issues that had been bothering me.

If I can delve a little further...

I still feel like I may need to do some sort of expansion in editing for the following reasons.

- I have made some good hi-res titles to apply to the footage, but when I shrink the titles down to fit the 720x480 clip and simply export the sequence as a MOV file, the titles are mushy and blocky by virtue of being shrunk down so much. I get the feeling they demand a better resolution.

- The footage wasn't filmed on something as good as a Canon XL1. It was a strict consumer grade old handicam. When I sampled the tapes as NTSC DV, the sequence automatically showed up as 480x720. The aspect ratio looks right in the window, so I never questioned these numbers.

I know I can't take low-res footage and magically increase the resolution. But is there an effective way to increase the resolution of the final output to accommodate the better resolution titles?

If I export a current 480x720 sequence with titles and play it back at "fit to computer screen" the footage and titles look pretty lousy...

One of the reasons I have brought this up is that if I send a clip to a HD Motion Project, expand the footage to fit the window and apply HD titles / effects, it all looks pretty good. Having the handicam footage zoomed in (and mushed up a bit) with the good titles still seems to be a superior result.

However, if I do all of this at the original resolution, even the titles end up being fairly ineffective.

Thanks again for the time and tips.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 27, 2012 at 2:46:17 pm

I don't know where you are seeing "480x720", DV video is most definitely 720x480. Where/how did you create your titles and at what resolution? Note that NTSC video is interlaced, and if you watch it on a computer screen, those are progressive, so you can see some funky interlace artifacting issues, so don't judge the picture that way, it never looks right. Burn a DVD and view on an actual TV set.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 27, 2012 at 2:51:45 pm

I guess I meant 720x480. I haven't paid much attention to which axis is stated first, but I guess it is usually X.

My titles and such are created in Motion, and I did so in HD. I chose 1920x1080 for design, and then, I figured I could crop out what I don't want and apply them to something like 1620x1080 if I expand the DV footage.

Because of the interlacing in the footage, should I leave it there for DVD authoring? I applied a de-interlace filter because it looks better on the computer screen while I'm working, but I can always remove it if necessary...

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 27, 2012 at 3:03:48 pm

There is no 1620x1080, get that number out of your head as well ;-)

NTSC video is usually interlaced and you'll want to keep it that way, as deinterlacing throws away half the resolution and you don't want that! If your titles were created at HD resolution, then they are 16:9 and now you are putting them into a 4:3 project, so that may have something to do with the quality issue. Why not create titles at NTSC resolution?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 27, 2012 at 3:34:11 pm

The titles and effects are much better designed than the quality of the original camera and in a couple ways have the potential to upgrade everything as a whole. Also, when I've shrunk them down to the resolution of the footage and exported, they haven't held up terribly well.

I have learned that 1620x1080 isn't a common (or even existing) preset but the way I got to it was by taking the 720x480 footage and - assuming that it might be worth it to do titles and transitions in HD... Well, if I expand the 480x720 proportionately...I get 1620x1080. So I guess in the end I would end up with 1920x1080 but with narrow black "wings" on the sides... It seemed to make sense...

Of course, none of the stuff developed in Motion has been developed with interlacing involved. Don't know how well that will play out on a DVD or TV and if that will be an issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]