FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best DVD media?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobias Andersen
Best DVD media?
on Nov 24, 2012 at 6:48:27 pm

Hi,

I need to buy some DVD's, and have been looking around to figure out which ones are the best quality. It's important that the compatibility is high because I need to send DVD's around as part of job applications, so it would be a shame if there are problems with the playback :)

I have read that JVC-Taiyo Yuden is a good brand and I found these http://www.nierle.com/s01.php?shopid=s01&cur=eur&sp=en&ag=1&pp=aa&bnr=5675 - do you think this is a good choice? I see there are other possibilities from the same brand - some with some kind of thermal coating or water shield and other stuff - so I'm not sure if I picked the best.

I hope someone can give me some advice, thanks :)

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Best DVD media?
on Nov 24, 2012 at 7:54:17 pm

It's rare you see issues with media unless you by the no name brands. Those are good along with Verbatim.

Kepping your overall bitrates below 7.7 or so is the best way to insure comparability

Return to posts index

Tobias Andersen
on Nov 24, 2012 at 8:47:42 pm

Thanks for your reply :) I think I will go and order those. You mention the bitrate should be below 7.7, I assume that's also the case even though it's a very small sequence I'm going to put there (about 2-3 minutes)?

Do you have any other things I should do to ensure compatibility? The clip I'm putting there is a mp4 file that I imported to Encore and then I make the iso from here.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Nov 25, 2012 at 11:48:35 am

Yes but an mp4 file is already highly compressed and you'll be compressing again to mpeg2 since that is what required for DVD.

Use an uncompressed file instead

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 26, 2012 at 4:56:34 pm

Hi Tobias,

I've been using Taiyo Yuden (now JVC) for several years and never any coasters, they are very good quality! The "Watershield" option does add cost, but looks very nice compared to the "flat white" surface and keeps the ink from smudging when touched with sweaty/wet fingers.

As Eric stated, .mp4 is not a good choice for a source, unless that is all you have to work with. What is your editing workflow?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Tobias Andersen
on Nov 26, 2012 at 9:43:20 pm

I can render out any format from my project in Premiere Pro (where I am working with sequences of tga images) - which format would you recommend?

I know I could probably send it directly to Encore from Premiere Pro, but I like to keep it simple and render to a file that I can then import in Encore :)

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 26, 2012 at 10:12:53 pm

Export to "MPEG-2 for DVD", as this is exactly what Encore needs, and it will NOT be transcoded again, used as is. This option will create TWO files, .m2v for video and .wav for audio. In Encore, use "Import As > Timeline" and select both clips together.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Tobias Andersen
on Nov 28, 2012 at 8:18:59 pm

Thanks a lot, I will try it out :)

Return to posts index

Tobias Andersen
on Nov 29, 2012 at 11:15:12 am

Hi again - I would very much appreciate if you could help me a bit more with the render settings in Premiere :)

I am having some issues with the render - a thin colored bar is showing up for a few seconds in the right side of the image (it does this in the end and beginning of the clip). The playback also seems just a little bit choppy, but not much (haven't tried to burn to a DVD yet though).

I am not sure if I am using the right render settings in Premiere.

You can see my render settings here: premierepro-export-settings.jpg

Also, my stuff is at 24 fps, but I assume it's best to leave it at the default 25 fps for PAL?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]