FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Exporting With RED

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Perry
DVD Exporting With RED
on Nov 12, 2012 at 3:14:59 pm

Hey guys,

I'm sure this is on the forum previously but I am VERY pressed for time, my deadline is tomorrow. I shot my film on RED and have to export the file to DVD. I tried twice but failed both times. The DVD does not capture the quality I am looking for. I realize that standard DVDs will not capture the amount of quality that a Blu Ray would, but I need the DVD with the maximum quality for the file size (it's only a short film).

I shot the project at 5k but I am editing at 1920 x 1080. How do I export with the maximum quality for DVD? Also, what dimensions should I export so to assure no cropping exists during DVD play back?

You guys are life savers!

Sean

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: DVD Exporting With RED
on Nov 12, 2012 at 5:40:26 pm

NTSC DVD is 720x480. You need to export out a 720x480 uncompressed file and encode that. Your bitrate is determined by the length of your project. Also you'd want to use AC3 audio to Allow more bandwidth for video.

To get the best quality possible, I'd pay a DVD expert to do the work . No offense but compression is an art form all itself. Many prosumer encoders are really bad....Compressor is one of the worst of them.

You wouldn't hire a DP who doesn't have years of experience or a lighting director who's never rigged a set? Why do the same with the final step of all you're hard work?

Return to posts index

Sean Perry
Re: DVD Exporting With RED
on Nov 13, 2012 at 1:45:39 pm

Thank you very much. And I've just realized that my work has finally come to that point; where a professional needs to be hired, rather than me playing around.

Then again, I did hire an amateur of a DP...me! Haha.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]