FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to play .mp4 file properly off data disc.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack wormell
Unable to play .mp4 file properly off data disc.
on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:16:21 pm

Hi There

I've burnt an .mp4 to a DVD as a data disc using Roxio DE, but when I play the file in VLC off the disc it glitches at the same moment. I've tried a number of different DVDs and it does the same on all of them. The file itself is fine, and when I copy the file I've just burnt onto the disc back onto the desktop it plays fine.

Is it impossible to play a 1GB .mp4 off a data disc?

Thanks for your help in advance

Jack

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
Re: Unable to play .mp4 file properly off data disc.
on Nov 2, 2012 at 5:52:28 pm

Depends on the data rate of the video and if the drive can keep up with it.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/61

Tech-T Productions
http://www.tech-t.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 2, 2012 at 6:02:14 pm

Most important piece of info is missing. What is the bitrate of the encode.

If it is happening at the same place in the video you probably have an encoding bitrate spike.

Return to posts index

jack wormell
on Nov 5, 2012 at 9:41:31 am

Hiya

Thanks for getting back to me.

The bit rate is 8000, CBR, multi-pass. Is this insane?

Jack

Return to posts index

jack wormell
on Nov 5, 2012 at 3:59:54 pm

Thanks Guys

I did another export at a lower bit rate and just a 2pass VBR and it seems to work now.

Jack

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:27:26 pm

[jack wormell] "The bit rate is 8000, CBR, multi-pass. Is this insane?"

8000kb/s (8Mb/s) should be achievable by any DVD player. Have you tried a different video player? VLC has some I/O problems that have never been resolved. It's good enough off an HDD to generally work, but there are better. If you have Windows 7, even Windows Media Player will work better (as well as using a DXVA 2.0 accelerated AVC decoder).

There's really no such thing as CBR multi-pass. Not sure which software would even allow that. CBR means "Constant Bit Rate"... it's always doing the same bitrate. The reason to run a multi-pass encoding is to allow the encoder to learn about the entire video, to better plan out a variable bitrate encoding.

Also, what kind of PC is being used? Given that you have CBR encoding, there's actually no possibility for a bit-rate spike as there might be with VBR. That doesn't mean the decoding job your CPU is doing will be constant work, only that the data coming in is always the same bitrate. VLC doesn't use much if any GPU acceleration, which means you probably need a decent two-core processor to smoothly decode AVC in high definition.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Nelson Scott
on Jun 14, 2013 at 8:53:34 am

Most DVDs have to use MPEG-2 or DivX, if you try to directly burn MP4 to DVD or your DVD burner app has no function of converting MP4 to MPEG-2, DivX, you will fail to burn MP4 to DVD disc.

Even if you have successfully burn MP4 to DVD without converting, you will still encounter issues in playing MP4 on DVD player: Regular standalone DVD players can only read movie DVD's (those are in MPEG-2, and if you view them in Windows Explorer, you see a folder structure with VIDEO_TS, and files like .VOB .IFO and .BUP). Newer DVD players that are DivX-certified can (in addition to the above) read data DVD’s with an AVI file encoded in the DivX codec. Most of the time, you will fail to play MP4 on DVD player unless the DVD players have the "Nero Digital" label on them.

In order to burn MP4 to DVD for successfully playing on various DVD players, we had better find a powerful MP4 to DVD Video Converter which will automatically convert MP4 to DVD disc or DVD player compatible format.

Step by step guide at Solution on MP4 Won't Play on DVD Player

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]