FORUMS: list search recent posts

VOB with no sound

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Dulfer
VOB with no sound
on Oct 21, 2012 at 10:41:46 am

I am baffled. From a friend (professional cameraman film maker) I got a dvd with raw material and one with the final product on a short nature movie The final product plays ok with footage, sound and voice-over in VLC. The raw DVD has seemingly identical folders and files (*.vob, *.ifo, *bup) but does not give sound.

When playing the raw material in VLC it shows under tools-media info and tools-codec info that an audio track is there, with A52 (AC3) codecs, video on track 0, audio on track 1. However, no sound.

When playing the finished material in the same way (that is not auto-play but go onto the dvd, double-click on a .vob file or open it through the vlc player as file), the VLC player shows the same audio track with audio and codec details and I do get sound?????

The only direct difference I can see is that in the finished product, there is an empty AUDIO_TS folder, in the raw dvd there is no such folder.

I tried to extract to different formats, and also iso it and then convert, no dice. Everything works fine with final product but no sound with the raw material. Any idea??

Background info: the maker is out of reach and internet contact somewhere on production, so I cannot ask him for the next week or so, and I need to solve this.

The finished product has a voice over and music added etc, the raw product only has the time-counter burned into the footage and only the original sound of the animals messing around. I want to merge the final footage (without time-counter) with the original sounds (without music and voice-over) so we can add our own music and voice-over on selected sequences.

Asus P8Z68-V Pro gen 3; i7-2600k; 16 GB RAM, ASUS-NVIDIA GTX 570, 240 GB SSD as OS and 1 TB WD as data drive, Coolmaster Silencio 550 silent case (I love it). Adobe Production Premiere CS 6

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: VOB with no sound
on Oct 21, 2012 at 11:39:20 pm

I wish I had a direct answer but I can rule out the AUDIO_TS folder. That was reserved for DVD Audio spec

Return to posts index

Robert Dulfer
on Oct 22, 2012 at 12:20:11 pm

Negative answer also helps. I was wondering why the empty folder was on the final dvd at all. I was already imagining that there might be a script stating that "if Audio_TS is empty, use....", causing a problem if the Audio folder is not there. So I can cross that off as well. Thanks. Let's hope that somebody comes up with a solution.

Asus P8Z68-V Pro gen 3; i7-2600k; 16 GB RAM, ASUS-NVIDIA GTX 570, 240 GB SSD as OS and 1 TB WD as data drive, Coolmaster Silencio 550 silent case (I love it). Adobe Production Premiere CS 6

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 22, 2012 at 4:10:45 pm

It's most likely a player issue.....i dont know of any truly reliable software players. If the disc plays on a set top , you're disc was authored correctly

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Oct 22, 2012 at 4:32:02 pm

[Robert Dulfer] "The finished product has a voice over and music added etc, the raw product only has the time-counter burned into the footage and only the original sound of the animals messing around. I"

How do you know the sound of the animals is there if you can't hear it? Perhaps the raw video was shot without audio. Perhaps the sounds were added from a completely separate source during the post-productiion. Also, just because there is a sound track does not necessarily mean there is an audio signal - it may just be a structural requirement of the .vob file (someone with more knowledge in this area may be able to confirm).

HTH

Gary

Return to posts index

Robert Dulfer
on Oct 22, 2012 at 7:52:15 pm

Most telling for me, but maybe I am wrong: video is playing in VLC. When opening tools while playing and then going into media info-statistics or codec info-statistics, it shows both video AND audio being decoded and played or displayed, and you see the block numbers going up. I would say that this means there is some kind of audio on that media.

I rechecked the final version, and to me it sounds there are at least three audio tracks
1 original sounds matching the behavior of the animals: otter eating fish and sounds match the eating movements and diving of the otter into the water. Then the music in some places accompanying it and on top of that the narrator.

I know where those shots were taken and these are the real sounds. I think it was taken with a directional shotgun mic on the camera, although sometimes he uses a separate parabolic disc mounted mic as well. So I presume that the raw material includes footage with matching sounds. I cannot imagine why he would gave the raw material for first view to the office ordering it (the main person being a personal friend of him who I know also well) deliberately omitting the sound. Only reason I can see is to protect his material, but the time code is burned in as well, so that would be double careful for a disk which is personal and private anyway

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Oct 23, 2012 at 2:31:20 am

Have you played the raw footage disc in a regular DVD player? If audio is there then I'm at a loss as to why you can't hear it when you play the .vob files on your computer.

Gary

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 31, 2012 at 1:56:58 pm

I think Gary is on the right track because as I was reading the thread that is what I was thinking the whole time - "Has he tried the DVD in a DVD player yet?", then I got to Gary's reply.

Just because there is a "sound file" on the DVD, it COULD be silence!

Since it appears to be a time-coded window dub copy, maybe there is no audio included, being just to make decisions about which video clip goes where. Quite simply, stick it in an actual DVD player and see if there is sound - you can't assume there is.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Robert Dulfer
on Oct 31, 2012 at 6:34:00 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have a real DVD player, only PC players.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 31, 2012 at 6:57:39 pm

$29.00 for a DVD player.

Good to have on hand for proofing DVD's if you burn any - can't trust software players since they will play non-compliant material, best to use an actual player like your clients will be using.

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]