FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning Blu Ray discs compatible with old-style PS3.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Willis
Burning Blu Ray discs compatible with old-style PS3.
on Aug 28, 2012 at 4:29:50 am

Forgive me if this topic already exists, but I could use some advice on authoring Blu Ray discs that will play on the older style PS3, but more importantly I need to be sure that these discs will function on all players when I mail them as exhibition copies. I am fairly proficient with DVDSP, but as far as I know there is no support for Blu Ray, only HDDVD.

My project is 16 min. It is Apple Pro Res 422 HQ 1920x1080 23.98fps.
The Burner I am using is a Samsung SE-506AB external writer.

My first test disc was output using the share function in FCP7. This disc will not mount on the old PS3 but plays just fine in a PS3 Slim.

My second test disc was made by creating a .MOV from FCP7 using current settings, that I brought into Toast 11, which converted the file to .mp4. This disc mounts and plays on both, but the motion and frame rate are all wrong somehow, looking more like stop motion animation than film, oddly the sound plays back just fine. We put the disc back in the computer and it played back perfectly through VLC?

My last ditch effort was to bring the .MOV into Encore and burn a disc with a high quality Mpeg2. It didn't mount in the old PS3, only the Slim, so it's the same difference as the FCP version.

Does anybody have a proven workflow that will burn a Blu Ray that should play on any machine? I know the obvious answer is "don't play it on an old PS3". A lot of people who worked on the film use these as the Blu Ray player in their home theater. I'd love to be able to reward their work with the best copy possible.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Burning Blu Ray discs compatible with old-style PS3.
on Aug 28, 2012 at 5:04:29 am

Try bringing the .mov export into Apple Compressor or Adobe media encoder and apply the default settings for Blu-ray. Then bring the resulting H.264 and .ac3 into Toast/Encore and burn your BD.

Basically three steps, create a self contained file from your edit, use that to compress the files for Blu-ray, then burn those files to disc. Hope that works for you.

Return to posts index

David Willis
on Aug 28, 2012 at 6:22:35 pm

Thank you. Your advice led me to this post... http://pixelcorps.cachefly.net/macbreak-165-540p-h264.mov
I followed up with a generic AC3 with maxed out quality.
I brought these files into Toast 11 and matched my settings and it works great!

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Sep 1, 2012 at 3:57:54 am

Far as I know, the older PS3 are updated to the same level as the "thin", hardware differences aside (I have a second-generation "fat" PS3, it plays everything). Do check to see that the PS3 is full up-to-date. Sony's made vast improvements to the Blu-ray player app since the PS3 was launched, so you really can't expect older firmware to play. Given that, I have never had a problem with any Blu-ray I've made (and I've made dozens).

Some players won't play BDMV or BD-R... not much you can do about that, and it's the typical industry idiocy, not mandating that level of compatibility, but no different than it was with DVD. Many BD players won't play BDMV on DVD, but they will play the virtually identical AVCHD on DVD, mainly because that's a camcorder format.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]