FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Noob's Experience Authoring with DVD Studio Pro (so far, could still use some assistance!)

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Money Mahoney
A Noob's Experience Authoring with DVD Studio Pro (so far, could still use some assistance!)
on Aug 24, 2012 at 7:30:21 pm

Alright, here's what I've learned/experienced so far (and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about anything), if this educates anyone else out there who is frustrated as hell in trying to get accurate point-by-point instructions on this stuff - you're welcome.

THE MAIN FACTS I DISCOVERED (CONTRARY TO SOME OTHER POSTS):

1. Yes, you CAN add both HD and SD video clips on the same DVD (I did it); I'm guessing the trick is to have them both formatted for SD in the "build/format" process (below). So the end result is an SD DVD with all the finalized video, regardless of the starting resolution?

2. I wasted a good chunk of time messing with Apple Compressor, exporting to different formats that gave me errors importing into the DVD Studio project, but the one that worked every time: ProRes4444.

1. DVD Studio Pro does NOT support Blu-ray (can't author with it);

2. HV-DVD is a dead format, ala Beta vs. VHS video (Blu Ray won);

3. You need to build your project/set preferences in SD (vs. HD);

4. You need to click "build/format" and select your folder for the processed files;

5. You may need to find & delete other build folders before the proper one will work.

AND NOW, MY REMAINING QUESTIONS:

1. Do I need to add an overlay function of some sort over the (video thumbnail) buttons on the menu? I have six video animated stills, but that's not working yet.

2. What aspect ratio/setting do I need to use for this? My DVD is trimming off the left & right margins of the clips, as some of them were finalized as 16:9.

THANK YOU

m

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: A Noob's Experience Authoring with DVD Studio Pro (so far, could still use some assistance!)
on Aug 24, 2012 at 9:07:02 pm

DVDSP and authoring can be a little daunting at first...I know...believe me :)

Did you go through the tutorials in the manual or look on you tube to get step by steps? Its almost impossible to help that much here on a thread :) It takes practice to get thing right when youre going in blind :)

1. Yes....you can add both but the HD files but they will be down rez to SD

2. You probably fed it H.264 file. DVDSP does not accept them - as good thing since h.264 is a delivery codec not a mastering one. Always work with and export a good uncompressed or lossless codec like Prores.

1. Nope...DVD does not author BD

2. yes

3. yes

4. yes

5. yes

1. Yes...think of DVd having 2 planes. One is a background still or video and on top of it is your overlay. They are separate so you can adjust things like opacity and color

2. DVD(NTSC) is 720x480. This is either 4x3 or can be 16x9 anamorphic...but always 720x480. There are other resolutions like half D1 but thats beyond this thread

Return to posts index

Money Mahoney
Re: A Noob's Experience Authoring with DVD Studio Pro (so far, could still use some assistance!)
on Aug 26, 2012 at 7:33:35 pm

Thanks so much, I'm getting a little closer, any additional input is much appreciated, specifically:

1. What are the EXACT settings on the aspect ratio I need so both my older SD clips (4:3) and my new HD clips (16:9) will display properly on a regular TV?

2. If I'm hoping for some kind of highlight to appear for each individual video clip on the authored DVD's menu... I'm guessing I need to add both a background and overlay art files? (I just did them with Photoshop)

What a complete pain in the ass this program is hey? And I thought learning Final Cut Pro was hard...

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 28, 2012 at 1:54:20 am

1..Like I said, DVD is 720x480 or 720x480 16x9 anamorphic. Your 4x3 footage is encoded 4x3 while 16x9 is encoded 16x9. On a 4x3 TV your 16x9 will be letterboxed to fit the smaller screen

2. Here's a good tutorial to go over....Ill basically be telling you the same thing that is written here:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/creating-dvd-menu-and-button-highlights-using-ph...

Return to posts index

Money Mahoney
on Aug 29, 2012 at 9:33:31 pm

Thanks for the reply, here's where I'm at:

1. I don't care if there is letterboxing with both 4:3 and 16:9 - I just want the f**king videos not to be chopped off on the left & right borders! I would LOVE to know the EXACT settings on the authoring process to make that happen?

2. I have messed with the "overlay" process & Photoshop (i.e., a background image, and then the "black box" method for the highlights), but still can't figure out how in the hell to make it work when I put the burned DVD in the player. Is there some kind of crazy mojo or something I need to do or what?

F R U S T R A T I N G A S H E L L hey?

Return to posts index

Money Mahoney
on Aug 29, 2012 at 9:39:37 pm

I found this post somewhere online, seems pretty well written; I followed the instructions, but my burned DVD isn't showing highlights - maybe I need to pay more attention the the black boxes inside the overlay (Photoshop) file? The part about ensure the button edges are strictly contained inside the block box field - is that correct?

thanks

m

1. Create a background. This image should contain everything you want on the menu EXCEPT for the actual highlights.

2. Save the background as a .tif, or .pict file (other formats will probably work too).

3. Create another file with a black where you want your highlights to be. For example, if you were using a rectangle as a highlight, make a pure black rectangle in the correct spot such that it lines up with where ever it needs to go (this is where Photoshop becomes useful, because of layers, but it's not strictly necessary).

4. Save this file as a .pict file (TIF, and PNG might work too).

5. Import both picture files into DVD SP.

6. Create a new menu in DVD SP.

7. Drag the background picture from the assets window on to the menu in the graphical outline window.

8. Click on the menu in either the graphical tab or outline tab.

9. In the menu inspector, at the bottom where it asks for the overlay file, click the drop down box and select the picture file with the black overlays for highlights.

10. On the colors tab in the menu inspector, select simple mode. Next, choose the colors for normal, selected and activated states for the buttons on this menu.

11. The final step is to actually create the buttons. With the menu selected, make sure the menu tab/window is visible. Inside this, you should see the menu background. Click and drag to create buttons where they need to go. You need to make sure you completely contain each highlight within the boxes. Also, you CAN'T have overlapping buttons, so be careful not to let them overlap.

You've not got your buttons. You can set them up to link to other elements in either the button inspector or in the connections window.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, let me know. Also, the Discussions forums on http://www.apple.com can be very helpful. You don't need Photoshop to do this, but I can tell you from personal experience that it's very nice to have. For one thing, you can use separate layers in the same Photoshop file to do the background(s) and overlays, and in fact if you want, you can make ALL the menus in an entire DVD with one PSD file, with different layers containing different elements.
The image file with black where the overlays goes is never actually visible to the end user. It's only used to tell DVD SP where the highlights appear. You have to select the color and opacity for each button state (normal/unselected, selected, activated) within DVD SP. I'm going to switch over to my video editing machine and take some screenshots to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I'll post them here when I'm done.

By the way, the procedure for a video background and an image background is exactly the same as far as highlights go. You still need a highlights overlay file with black where the highlights are supposed to appear.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 29, 2012 at 11:10:24 pm

[Money Mahoney] "maybe I need to pay more attention the the black boxes inside the overlay (Photoshop) file?"

Yes....you do

[Money Mahoney] "The part about ensure the button edges are strictly contained inside the block box field - is that correct?
"

It is correct

Not sure what else to tell you. That piece you found is exactly like all the tutorials I advised you to read. Have you looked at any videos on youtube?

Not sure why you have black on the sides. Whats the aspect ratio of the piece you are editing? Whatever that is you need to nest it in a 720x480 (4x3 or 16x9 anamorphic) timeline and encode

Have you thought about using iDVD? Its much more user friendly

Return to posts index

Money Mahoney
on Sep 23, 2012 at 3:22:13 pm

Hola:

I know I'm very close on my DVDSP authoring challenge, but I'm missing a couple of key steps. Would anyone here be available to do a remote screen sharing session (ala Mikogo.com) to quickly get me through this?

I can pay via PayPal, let me know

THANK YOU

m

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]