FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need to burn an MPEG and/or .MOV to DVD. I haven't got a clue! Any advice gladly received.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gary Seabrook
I need to burn an MPEG and/or .MOV to DVD. I haven't got a clue! Any advice gladly received.
on Aug 19, 2012 at 9:57:00 am

Hi,

I know my way around FCP7 fairly well but have never (NEVER) had to burn a file to DVD.
I'll give as much info as possible about the file I'm going to create out of FCP and where that file will eventually be used, and then rely upon the kindness of others to make some helpful suggestions.
I thank you in advance.

I'm working with Pro Res 422 files (shot on Canon 5D) in FCP7.

I need to save out as either (or both) MPEG and .MOV files of the final edit.
I then need to get these files burned on to a few DVDs.
They will be played using PC (don't know any more info about the age or sophistication of the PCs in question).

I guess I need to know:
1. the best way to save out of FCP7?
2. How to then prepare and burn those files on to a DVD?
3. The best format (MPEG or .MOV) to give me the most wide-ranging chance that the end user will be able to play the files out over their system?

I hope this isn't too vague. I don't have any other info right now.
IF there is something absolutely key that I need to know, I'd be grateful if someone would let me know and I'll do my best to find out.

Thank you so much.

Gary (confused), London England.

Best thing to do with good advice? Pass it on

Return to posts index

Jessica Muth
Re: I need to burn an MPEG and/or .MOV to DVD. I haven't got a clue! Any advice gladly received.
on Aug 19, 2012 at 12:15:54 pm

First, how long is your program?

Send your sequence to Compressor. Select one of the DVD Presets that closely matches the time of your program. Also choose the "Best Quality" preset. From there, you export. However, until we know how long your program is, I can't tell you of you need to adjust your data rate for the .m2v file.

Open up DVD Studio Pro once your streams have been made. Import the .ac3 and .m2v into your project. Create a new Timeline and then, drag the files you just imported into the Timeline. I would assume that your DVD is a straight-play. So, in your Inspector window, make sure you adjust your Title, Menu, and First Play options to the necessary timeline that houses your program. Now, click on the Timeline and change your End Jump (if you need it to loop, loop to the same timeline again. If you need it to just stop, don't do anything). And last, click outside of the timeline and go to Inspector and change the name of our disc.

That's it. If you need help adjusting the bitrate, let everyone know.

Jessica Muth
jmuth01@gmail.com

Return to posts index

gary Seabrook
Re: I need to burn an MPEG and/or .MOV to DVD. I haven't got a clue! Any advice gladly received.
on Aug 21, 2012 at 9:59:28 am

First of all Jessica thanks very much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.
I have a couple of questions..... I'd be really grateful if you could look at them and give me an answer.

You said:
"Send your sequence to Compressor. Select one of the DVD Presets that closely matches the time of your program. Also choose the "Best Quality" preset. From there, you export. However, until we know how long your program is, I can't tell you of you need to adjust your data rate for the .m2v file."

ANSWER:
The final edit I need to burn to DVD won't be more than 3.30 - 4.00 in total. It will be one piece and won't really need any chapter markers or buttons, just a straightforward play/pause / stop, which I imagine will be more straightforward to produce. The smallest amount of time selectable from 'DVD: Best Quality' presets is 90 minutes. My file will be about 4 minutes maximum! Is this going to be a problem?

The client, correctly or incorrectly, is requesting that the file is burned to DVD in .MOV or MPEG format (definitely NOT MPEG4 as their machines can't handle them for some reason?)

You Said:
"Open up DVD Studio Pro once your streams have been made. Import the .ac3 and .m2v into your project."

1st question I have is why am I exporting .ac3 and .m2v files? Are these standard formats for burning to DVD? Do you mean import ac.3 and .m2v into DVD Studio Pro?

2nd question is; In DVD Studio Pro there are there setting when opening a project, 'Basic' , 'Extended' and 'Advanced' - which one do I need to go with? I'm guessing extended?

Lastly, I followed your instructions with a small test sample of my finished edit - FCP to Compressor using 'DVD Best Quality' setting. It produced an m2v file but no .ac3 file? Is that embedded within the m2v? Or did I lose it somewhere??!

Thanks very much.
Gary

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Aug 20, 2012 at 1:26:31 pm

Jessica gave you a pretty good understanding here. You'll need to look in the DVDSP manual for more info about linking buttons and navigation and such. It's easy to forget something and have a DVD that doesn't work right.

I just wanted to throw in that "Send to Compressor" is usually not a good way to go. The best way to get a file out of FCP7: Go to Export, Quicktime Movie, and check the self-contained box. Then open up Compressor and drop that in. Send to Compressor is slow and funky. Then you'll have the m2v and ac3 the same way. As a bonus, the self-contained mov file can also be used as a master copy of the timeline to archive.

Another side note: in DVD Studio Pro, it's better to do "build" and "format" separately, and not use "burn" at all. "Build" creates the DVD files ("video_ts" folder and contents, if you've ever seen that). "Format" burns those onto the DVD. By keeping the processes separate, there's less chance that DVDSP will screw it up.

And as far as "best format to give me the most wide-ranging chance...", I'm not exactly sure what you mean? A DVD is a DVD, it'll play in any DVD player - set top, computer, etc. The files you use to create the DVD don't matter in that sense, they just matter in terms of what DVD Studio Pro wants. If you want to give someone a file to be able to play it on their computer, the m2v and ac3 streams aren't going to work for that.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 21, 2012 at 9:10:36 am

You appear to have been given pretty good advice but I'll throw in a bit more if I may.

Firstly, I'm finding that Studio Pro tends to be set at default for NTSC so, as you're in the UK as I am, be sure to choose the PAL option. I have to do this every time.

Secondly, many people, including me, consider BitVice to be a superior encoding software to Compressor. All I do is drag my exported ProRes QT .mov file into BitVice and I get my m2v and ac3 files that I then import into Studio Pro as others have explained. BitVice gives you the opportunity of choosing an average bit rate with a double pass encode and my results are first rate with the latest BitVice version. If you are shooting and editing in HD as I am the downscale for DVD in BitVice is really very good.

As to the file that you burn, that will be a .img and you can archive that and re use it whenever you need more DVD's. If I need BD's I merely drag my HD ProRes .mov into Titanium Toast Pro 11 and do the encode and burn to Blu-Ray there. I archive the ProRes file as well as the SD .img.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

gary Seabrook
on Aug 21, 2012 at 10:12:19 am

Thanks very much for getting back to me Michael, I appreciate it.

I'm just doing some experiments now.
Do you happen to know if there's any difference in the method one would use to format a DVD for use on a PC as opposed to a Mac as opposed to a standard DVD player? I'm truly baffled by this.

I think the end users for this DVD will be in the Far East. Are there 'Region' issues that I need to be aware of?

Thanks again,
Gary

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:38:55 pm

Again - a DVD is a DVD. There is nothing special about making it work in a standard DVD player or Mac or PC. They're all DVD drives. The only differences would be if you add additional functionality that only works in computer drives (like within DVD Studio Pro "DVD @ccess"). But that stuff really doesn't work very well. I think even the DVD @ccess doesn't work across platforms 99% of the time, I can't remember.

And yea, you need to make sure the region is set correctly. There's a simple setting for that in DVD Studio Pro.

(I'd also agree BitVice is superior if you can get ahold of it.)

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 21, 2012 at 5:18:42 pm

There you are Gary, your answer from a better looking human being than me! This region business can land you in quite a lot of trouble so it's wise to check carefully. Mind you, with my own produced DVD's I find that they play everywhere, even in awkward USA with their odd NTSC system! Region though is something different again and I'm not qualified to pontifcate on that.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]