DVDSP problems burning

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Stark
DVDSP problems burning
on Aug 17, 2012 at 8:15:32 pm

Hi all,

need any and all expert opinions.

I'm working with a big project for our studio. It is multiple videos(or titles) that need to be added to one DVD, and I need multiple copies of final disc.

My workflow is: all editing/mixing done in Vegas. Rendered to .avi format. Menus, playlist and layout built in DVD studio pro 5.0. Said .avi's imported into DVDSP. Project is previewed through DVDSP. everything works GREAT! Project is 'prepared' through DVDSP. First copy is burnt. All is well except in the middle of the playlist it kicks back to the menu. That is not good, but will be ok since the individual videos can be accessed through menu buttons that do work.
Major problem comes when I click 'yes' to 'would you like to burn another copy'. I put in the blank disc, start the burn, and it locks up in the 'burning lead-in' phase. It will do this for some 40 minutes before giving me a hardware error. The only work-around I have found is to completely shut the program down and start it back up again. After this I can burn one more. This gets old since customers have bought 70 discs.

Other info: same program and project has been tried on two different computers. Said computers have used other, lower, consumer level DVD authoring programs before. Also, I had to check the 'use legacy drivers' box under preferences on both computers.

Return to posts index

Jessica Muth
Re: DVDSP problems burning
on Aug 19, 2012 at 3:40:19 am

Instead of having DVDSP make multiple copies, take your DVD Master, open up Disk Utility, create an image of the DVD, and burn it that way.

Jessica Muth
jmuth01@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Aug 20, 2012 at 1:30:07 pm

1) You shouldn't be using avi files. DVDSP transcoding these to the proper format within the software is making them look like crap and potentially leading to some of your issues.

2) Don't use "Burn" in DVDSP. "Build" first, then "Format" each disk you need. Or follow Jessica's advice to use another software to burn multiple copies.

3) Check all your end jumps and stuff. Do you have scripts? Something might be messed up and causing the DVD to break.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Ross Stark
on Aug 20, 2012 at 5:06:49 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I've double checked the end actions and such, and as far as I can tell everything looks right. I can use the "next" button and go straight where it is supposed to, but when it plays on its own it will jump back to the menu prematurely.

I'm not familiar with the "format" option you speak of. I have been preparing the project then burning the previously prepared project to disc. Is that the same process you're speaking of?

I use Sony Vegas for editing. Would you suggest rendering the files to MPEG in Vegas and then importing the MPEGs to DVDSP?

Thanks again for the advice.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Aug 20, 2012 at 6:14:43 pm

I'm wondering if the AVI files are throwing DVDSP off? See, DVDSP uses .m2v files for video (and a separate .ac3 file for audio). When you put something else in the software, it transcodes it to this. So it could be transcoding wrong depending on what's in that AVI container.

Do you have access to Compressor? If so, use that and find the highest quality DVD preset. Then take the m2v and ac3 files that are generated and put those in DVDSP. You'll know it's right because pretty much immediately, the files will have a little green circle next to them. The AVI files have either a red or yellow circle, I can't remember which, while DVDSP re-encodes them in the background.

(If not Compressor, try the free program MPEG Streamclip. I'm not sure about exporting from Vegas.)

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing with build/format. It sounds to me like you're setting everything up in the project and saving it, then opening it up and hitting burn whenever you need a new copy. Instead, go up to the top navigation and select "build". This creates the DVD files (video_ts folder). Then you can select "format" and it'll actually burn the files. Also, if you select build, you could use a different software to simply burn that disk image onto a DVD without having to open DVDSP anymore. I think Jessica mentioned a few - you just set it up to burn an authored DVD with a pre-existing disk image. In DVDSP, if you select "burn", it's much more likely to error. I *think* the reason is because it does the building of files and the burning at the same time, and the building of files is temporary, so there's more room for error.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Larry Applegate
on Aug 23, 2012 at 10:49:38 pm

You will find Roxio Toast Titanium is capable of specifying the number of copies that you want to make, and therefore you don't have to do anything but feed in blanks. You would build a DVD folder or image with DVD Studio Pro first. Toast is also more reliable.

Regards,
Larry Applegate
Rivergate Software
DVD/Blu-ray Authoring
larry@rivergatesoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]