FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with transcoding a DVD to APPLE TV format

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sutharsan Bala
Problems with transcoding a DVD to APPLE TV format
on Aug 7, 2012 at 3:04:36 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to encode a short film I made to submit to a film festival that prefers to have the films sent digitally. So they want the film in the Apple TV format (Mp4 / H264). They recommended using Handbrake (freeware) for this purpose. My problem is this:

When I encode the DVD with Handbrake I get 01:10 min of colorbars before the film starts playing. Now, this in itself isn't the problem (I could easily trim the color bars away) the problem is that the audio for the film starts playing approx. 00:30 min in (over the color bars) and when the picture finally comes on, we've basically lost the first scene of the film (it starts on scene two where scene one is replaced by the color bars).

I tried playing the DVD in DVD player on my Mac and it works fine (the film plays immediately without the color bars). Then I tried playing the disc on my standalone DVD player and it also works there. I went into the Video_TS folder on the DVD and tried playing the .VOB files using VLC and then the color bars appeared again.

Is this something which is in the architecture of the DVD and if so, how can I get rid of it so that I can get the first scene playing properly?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - A. Einstein

Return to posts index

Jessica Muth
Re: Problems with transcoding a DVD to APPLE TV format
on Aug 19, 2012 at 1:28:02 pm

Download VLC Player. Open up your DVD in Finder and then navigate to your VIDEO_TS folder. You will see a bunch of files, but you want to look for .VOB files. Drag each one into VLC Player individually until you identify the clip that has your program.

Now, down MPEG Streamclip. Take the .VOB file that you identified in VLC PLayer. You can then export a .mov of that program. THEN, import the .mov into FCP, cut where you need to, then export through Compressor.

If you have Premiere, you can just take the .VOB and put it into a sequence and trim it there and send it to Media Encoder.

Jessica Muth
jmuth01@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]