FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best footage settings for DVD using DVD Architect Pro 5.2?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Chopra
Best footage settings for DVD using DVD Architect Pro 5.2?
on Jul 17, 2012 at 8:32:59 pm

Hi everyone

I recently finished a project that is an animation rendered out at 1080x800 uncompressed avi. I want to be able to make a DVD that will of course compress the footage which is a 11gb file into the dvds 4.7gb space using DVD Architect pro 5.2...

My problem is that architect pro is compressing the footage down massively more than expected and the quality is not really even dvd standard that I am seeing from the burns. The footage is only using up around 10% of the disc and I'd like to be sure that there is not some other setting somewhere in the software that can give me a little more control on how it is compressing the footage before continuing?

I can't seem to find many manual controls in the software concerning compression.

Also when I use a compressed version of my footage the same thing happens and the quality is even worse..

I can provide more details if needed to help..

thanks for any advice & pointers in advance..

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
Re: Best footage settings for DVD using DVD Architect Pro 5.2?
on Jul 22, 2012 at 4:27:37 am

DVD Architect is not the best place to make the MPEG-2 for your DVD. But the settings for it are in the project settings panel. Usually, DVDA defaults to 8Mb/s CBR encoding, which is pretty close to the maximum quality rating for DVD.

On the other hand, it's questionable when the last time DVDA got an update of its MPEG-2 encoder. So I'd use Vegas anyway. Unless you have around an hour's worth of video, you are not going to fill a DVD. The maximum bitrate technically is a bit over 9Mb/s, but one normally leaves a little room for audio. For larger projects, going to 2-pass VBR (variable bit rate) will allow the encoder to use more bits for the busy parts and fewer for the static parts. But this doesn't get you anything if your video is short enough to not use up the whole disc.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Chopra
Re: Best footage settings for DVD using DVD Architect Pro 5.2?
on Jul 23, 2012 at 4:54:47 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for the post, yeah that is pretty much the settings I've used anyway so looks like this is as good as I will get it. I guess I've just forgotten how DVD quality looks having watched too much HD over the past few years.

thanks again

http://www.cascadepictures.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]