FORUMS: list search recent posts

transition from DVDSP

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BrAd Steiner
transition from DVDSP
on Jun 29, 2012 at 8:57:29 pm

I've been authoring with DVDSP since version 1.5, and have gotten quite confident in its use. But having DVD authoring skills is becoming less important with ever expanding digital deliver.

I've got no problem with that, but if I were to keep authoring DVDs, what software would I go to I was forced to stop DVDSP?
What has at least the level of DVDSP?
I've read that Scenarist is at a much higher level than what I've been doing with DVDSP. Can someone transition? Do any skills carry over?

Thanks in advance for the advice...

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
Imageworks

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: transition from DVDSP
on Jun 30, 2012 at 12:11:31 am

No one is going force you to stop using DVDSP. It's a wonderfully authoring tool which hasn't changedx much in the last several years

You could use Scenarist but your looking at an investment of $7k or so

None of your DVDSP experience will help you either since it's a spec tool and more akin to programming

DVDSP is the last authoring tool you'll need. :)

Return to posts index

BrAd Steiner
on Jun 30, 2012 at 12:14:22 am

Oh, I'll be using DVDSP as long as I can.

But say I go to another company where they don't have or (more likely) can't get DVDSP, and won't pay for Scenarist (and the training needed)...
What then I wonder?

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
Imageworks

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 30, 2012 at 2:38:08 am

Then you'll need to learn whatever tool they have on hand. Every authoring tool on the market is fairly basic and easy to learn.

Scenarist is a bear to learn....its more like programming then anything else. Only high volume DVD companies use it really.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 2, 2012 at 7:08:45 pm

Haven't had a lot of need for DVDs lately but when I do- definitely still using DVDSP. Haven't seen a better tool for the job.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 5, 2012 at 9:19:30 pm

Noah, how do you show people your stuff if not by DVD or BD? Pros may welcome a file but anyone else needs a disc surely?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:18:45 pm

I'm using Vimeo Pro to privately share video files. 99% of the time the clients are thrilled because they can see it instantly in HD on their computer/device/etc. Only getting DVD requests when clients need to ensure compliance with many satellite offices that don't have up to date browsers or good internet capability. And did I mention you can advertise how you're saving all that postage/waste discs/carbon etc...

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Stasia Lenhart
on Aug 2, 2012 at 2:33:39 pm

Brain,

Does Vimeo Pro allow you to post for a client and limit views? Wonder if this would be an alternative to ftp upload and download.

Thanks,

Stasia

Return to posts index

Stasia Lenhart
on Aug 2, 2012 at 2:31:18 pm

Brad,

Thank you for asking the question I was wondering about. Just curious, if people think that it will become necessary to author and burn blue-ray, and I might be missing something but DVD studio pro can't do that. I know you can burn a blue ray from FCP, but that doesn't give the menu and look needed.

I would welcome other peoples thoughts.

Stasia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]