FORUMS: list search recent posts

ECMA 167 - Tag Descriptor Error

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deirdre O'Lavery
ECMA 167 - Tag Descriptor Error
on Jun 22, 2012 at 5:00:20 am

I've been authoring DVDs with DVD Architect (current version DVDA Pro 5) for a few years now. Prior to that I was using ULEAD's DVD software. As of the last 2 years, I have been authoring dual layer discs, with good results. However, occasionally I get an Eclipse report back from the replication plant that references an error code 'ECMA 167'. Usually if I burn new masters from my prepare folder, it passes. But lately, this has not been the case. At this point I prefer to send drives with DDP 2.10 folders to the replication plant, but they have failed to return my last batch of drives on time and so I had no choice but to burn the new masters to dual layer disc (Verbatim). Now, these discs usually burn fine and pass verifcation, but recently I've had to send a 2nd master because it failed verification, and in some cases, such as today, a 3rd master. This is becoming a problem and I am not sure how to solve the issue.

I have replaced my DVD burner and also tried a new spindle of Verbnatim DLs, but this hasn't resolved the issue. I was kind of hoping that this would be a problem related to the discs themselves, such as a error that is occuring while burnng or poor media, but I worry that is not necessarily the case.

Today I went out and bought another drive just to send them this master a 3rd time. The deadline for distribution is next week and I'm hoping this round of masters pass verification. But if they don't, what then? Obvisouly continued hold-ups are not acceptible.

So here's the thing -- the error reports Ive gotten for every disc thats ever failed inspection all say it is due to: ECMA 167 - A descriptor tag location does not agree with the actual location where the descriptor was found.

Ok, fine. But if I read further, there is a note that says this error is very common in DVD videos and does not apear to affect playability, and that they reccomend that this error can be ignored.

I did some extensive online searches for this error, and while I find a lot of references to "this has been discussed at length years ago and you can ignore that error," I can't seem to find many of those discussions.

I did find some other Eclipse error reports online that note the same error as well as suggesting it can be ignored. I even found one that said this error is commone with DVD Architect, which is the software I use.

Now, this replication company has reported errors in the past with my masters, only to tell me later that my masters were fine, and that one of their machines was failing and giving false error reports. I do wonder if that could be the case again, but I haven;t recieved a response on whether my current masters have been checked on more than one machine, to confirm an actual error. I also haven't heard back from them to see if they tried the backup masters I sent.

What I want to know (besides a billion things) is if anyone has experience with this error, and if so, is it something that can usually be ignored without issue, as the error reports would suggest? Ideally I'd love to have this issue solved and not recieve any errors, but if this 'ECMA 167' error, which tends to be the only error I ever get, can *really* be safely ignored, then that will prevent me from hitting my head against my desk and losing an awful lot of sleep.

Thanks in advance!

~D

"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people"

~My Man Godfrey

Return to posts index

Deirdre O'Lavery
Re: ECMA 167 - Tag Descriptor Error
on Jun 26, 2012 at 6:09:40 pm

Just wanted to update this in case anyone else is looking for info on this error and it's severity:

I contacted Eclipse Technologies about the error and their technician had this to say:

It is true that this error is common in DVD-Video. In my opinion, this can safely be ignored provided that it is the only error.

I still don't have any info on how the error is occurring, but the above answer from Eclipse support was helpful.

~My Man Godfrey

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:16:06 pm

This type of thing happens all the time on DVD-r masters. I don't understand why so many replicators ask for them as their preferred method. Thumb drives are so cheap and are as reliable as hd think about using them. You can still ask for them back but no big deal to add the cost into the project so if you don't get them back no big deal.

Return to posts index

Deirdre O'Lavery
on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:24:09 pm

Thanks for responding, Chris. I have been sending them drives as of the last 6 months, but because they hadn't returned them and they needed a new msaster asap, I didn't have time to buy a new thumb drive and still make overnight delivery.

I finally got my drives back yesterday, thankfully. As of yesterday, the error was also reported on a thumb drive -- was hoping it was just related to the DVD media, but apprently not.

~My Man Godfrey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]