FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro gone!

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anneli Engstrom
DVD Studio Pro gone!
on Jun 16, 2012 at 3:05:33 pm

Final Cut Studio 2 can't be installed on a MacBook Pro from autumn 2011. When looking for upgrades in the Apple Store, I find that the upgrades are gone!!!

I need DVD Studio Pro in my work, and I want to keep using Motion and Final Cut Pro as well.

Somebody else must have noticed these terrible news. What have you done?

I have CS5, but I was perfectly happy with my FCS. I could never had imagined this, and was looking forward to finally becoming mobile. Why would Apple cancel perfectly good software and make the copy you already bought impossible to install?

Return to posts index

Anneli Engstrom
Re: DVD Studio Pro gone!
on Jun 16, 2012 at 3:48:02 pm

Does Final Cut Studio 3 work on my MacBook Pro, if I can find a copy? Seems to still be some around.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 16, 2012 at 3:51:11 pm

Where have you been for the past 5 or so years. DVDSP has not been sold as a stand alone product since the Final CUt Studio came out. FCS 3 will run fine on any mac with on intel processor, all mbp have intels in them.

Return to posts index

Anneli Engstrom
on Jun 16, 2012 at 4:07:46 pm

As I understand it DVDSP was discontinued about a year ago. I kept my old Final Cut Studio 2, as there didn't seem to be any upgrades I really needed in Final Cut Studio 3.

I hope you're right though, as there still seems to be some FCS 3 for sale. But not as cheap as it was when it was an upgrade. :( I feel cheated by Apple.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 16, 2012 at 4:10:17 pm

This is all old news. :(

Return to posts index

Anneli Engstrom
on Jun 16, 2012 at 4:14:01 pm

Well, it's been about a year, and I had missed it. I don't understand why Apple dropped the support. I use Final Cut Studio 2 on Intel MacPros every day, so I fail to see the need to make it impossible to install on my new MacBookPro.

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
on Jun 16, 2012 at 4:14:40 pm

It's maybe a hard decision, but it's better to say "Good bye, Apple" when investing your hard earned money in new hardware! Use your reliable Apple stuff as long as you can, but have an eye to the fact that the future for Apple-PROs isn't the best!
Better a scary than a long winded end. :)

FCP was a well working, but in the same time a real slow working (render time) piece of software! The bad thing is, that Apple has stopped any development to force a realtime orientated NLE software for the industry! We now having iMovie Pro!

Since Apple has started to force online distribution only, they have stopped maintainance & continous work on DVDSP & they have decided to stop support for any future physical media (BD)!

Maybe you can keep your DVDSP alive in a virtual machine or something!

Andreas Gumm
selfemployed media author

Return to posts index

Anneli Engstrom
on Jun 16, 2012 at 4:22:19 pm

Thank you for sympathy. I too wonder if Apple wants to get rid of pro users.

I can hardly return the MacBookPro, and it's a bit too expensive to just be a toy. If FCS 3 will work on it, I will probably try to buy a copy, but I'll be angry about it. It's another $1 000, which I didn't count on having to add to the cost of getting mobile.

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
on Jun 16, 2012 at 4:29:57 pm

Mmh, you are right!
A MacBookPro is still a great piece of hardware!

I'm curious about if a virtual machine can save you workflow alternatively?
I don't know how good DVDSP work in VM-environment!

Andreas Gumm
selfemployed media author

Return to posts index

Anneli Engstrom
on Jun 16, 2012 at 4:50:21 pm

MacBookPro is a nice piece of hardware, but useless without the software I need.

I don't know if there is any virtual solution. DVDSP is sensitive to small errors.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 16, 2012 at 4:36:04 pm

If you have FCS2 there should be no reason you cannot reinstall it.

I just don't see what you are complaining about. If the software works for you reinstall, if you are having a problem reinstalling figure out why. You may still be able to fine a FCS3 upgrade on ebay or something like that, just make sure you get the original install disc and serial number.

DVDSP is still the best authoring software for the Mac, nothing even close. If you need this tool in your business do what you have to to get it up and running.

Apple is a for profit company, while I don't agree with some of their discussions lately I refuse to keep bitching about it. As soon as their tools no longer work for me I will move on. I will find a way. If I cannot afford to update software when it is needed or upgrade systems to run needed upgrades then I will get out of the business. I don't want to go to a auto mechanic that says he cannot afford to be shelling out $ for new tools and software just to keep up to date with what is needed by the new cars he services.

Keeping useful equipment and software for as long as they get the job done is smart, replacing them when they don't is wisdom.

Return to posts index

Anneli Engstrom
on Jun 16, 2012 at 4:45:30 pm

The reason why I can't install FCS 2, is because Apple has chosen to drop support and make it impossible! When I press "Install" I get the unhappy message: "You can't open the application FinalCutStudio.mpkg because PowerPC applications are no longer supported".

I'm angry and feel cheated, as FCS 2 runs great on my MacPros with Intel processors. I fail to see the need for this programmed hinder.

I did not anticipate this. Had I known, I would not have bought a MacBookPro. But now I've got it, and I don't think I can return it.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 16, 2012 at 5:29:50 pm

You can purchase FCS 3 or easily find it on eBay. That's pretty much the only way. The version 2 you have is not designed for the computer you have. Also FCPX comes with built-in DVD authoring capabilities (thought they are not as comprehensive as DVDSP's were) and is $299 so you have plenty of options. The tech/post sector constantly evolves.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Anneli Engstrom
on Jun 16, 2012 at 7:27:24 pm

Thank you, I hope the FCS 3 will work, and that I'll get one. Although now I wish I had bought the upgrade when it was available, because this feels like a very unnecessary extra cost.

But no, I can't use any limited DVD authoring ware. I make DVD masters for feature films, and the menus must be unique and the discs versatile. And for bluray I have Encore, but I prefer Apples software. It's a pity that they didn't value it themselves.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 16, 2012 at 8:41:09 pm

or buy a $100 external hard drive, install Snow Leopard on it, install FCS2 and you are good. Apple did not cheat you, you decided to do an upgrade that was not compatible with your software. Software and equipment move forward. If you must have an old version of software, or just don't want to pay for an upgrade then you need to make sure you are staying compatible before doing anything. There are several ways to get you where you need to be. Sending $100 on a HD is the cheapest way. I have boot HD for this very reason. If someone gives me a FCP 6 job and I need to keep it at that version, I plug in boot and and we are all good to go.

Return to posts index

Anneli Engstrom
on Jun 16, 2012 at 9:42:11 pm

When Apple moved from OS9 to OSX I had no problem understanding that I needed a total upgrade. But this just seems like greediness. There is no real quantum leap in technology that motivates that FSC2 doesn't work on the MBP. The different generations of the software are overlapping.

Return to posts index

François Bouillon
DVD Studio Pro 4 : Works on OSX 10.8.5 !!!
on Oct 9, 2014 at 4:47:26 pm

I have OSX 10.8.5 and finally got it to work with DVD Studio 4.

There is one tricky part however: you need to have access to your old ''APPLICATIONS'' folder on your old drive where DVD studio pro worked…

Then you copy DVD STUDIO PRO.APP into your new OS X Application folder. That's all folks.

You will need to re-enter your original serial number.

If you have the install DVD from Final cut suite, you can install the DVD named:
DVD Studio Pro Content
(so you have the libraries installed, templates, etc.)

Hope this helps someone somewhere!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]