FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning to DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Allmond
Burning to DVD
on Jun 8, 2012 at 12:18:26 pm

So, this is a question that has been asked here, and on other forums a million times, but the answers are never very definitive. Let me ask this question a little different:

I've recorded footage on my Canon Vixia HF G10 camera (before recording, I knocked it down to 7mbps), and I am going to edit it, and put it on a DVD for viewing. I need a menu, chapter markers, and everything you would expect out of a DVD. What is the optimal file to export to before burning it to DVD?

Fom everything I have read, and please correct me of I am wrong, but the highest bit rate that you can out on to DVD is 8mbps (hence the reason I recorded at 7mbps), and of course a little over 4gigs. With that said, when I export, my file size should be in the neck of the woods of that 8mbps, and 4 gigs to avoid compression, correct?

The software I am working with is: FCPX, Adobe Premier Elements 10, iMovie, iDVD, and Compressor 4.

From what you see above, what would be a good workflow to produce the said DVD above? Righ now, my thought is, edit in FCPX, export to the elusive file format, open in iMovie to set chapter markers, then send straight to iDVD from there for the authoring. If anyone can see a better way, please let me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
Re: Burning to DVD
on Jun 11, 2012 at 2:16:29 pm

Your video has to end up as MPEG2 files to go to DVD. If you use anything else, you can assume your authoring software is encoding it for you in the background, which you typically want to avoid.

Return to posts index

Rob Jones
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:02:10 pm

Just to add to the above, if you require chapters for your menu, then create these in iMovie, and then import the video into iDVD, it will then automatically import the chapter points into iDVD.

You can add chapter points directly in iDVD, but this is default to a fixed interval, ie every 2mins or every 5mins etc.

Duplicazione CD
Disc Wizards Limited

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:09:26 pm

Hi Kevin,

Your video SOURCE (camera files) can be ANY size, up to and including uncompressed, as this has nothing to do with any limitations on the delivery format (files will be compressed for DVD at the end). By shooting at 7mbps, you have limited the initial quality. I'd recommend shooting at the standard 24mbps or whatever high-quality setting your camera offers for best results.

I work with Premiere CS6 on the PC and don't know the Elements or FCPX workflow, but generally you can do your edits in the NLE, and from there, EXPORT TO DVD and the software handles the rest as far as conversions go.

Please review your software documentation and search online for tutorials on how to accomplish your goals with the software you are using

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]