FORUMS: list search recent posts

disc printing

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Culleton
disc printing
on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:54:48 pm

not sure if this is the right forum but does anyone have recent problems with robotic duplicating/printing systems like the Primera composer not picking up discs? this seems to get more and more of a problem here and i'm thinking something is changing with disc manufacture re hole size or disc thickness?

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
Re: disc printing
on Jun 7, 2012 at 2:29:57 pm

Hi John,

We have several Rimage Producer systems and run them pretty much all day, so we move a lot of discs. While I can't speak to your specifics, I can tell you that there are several factors that impact the discs not being picked up correctly.

The disc itself is one of them, and it might be work asking your sales rep to check to see if anything has changed with the manufacturing lately that might impact it. This does occasionally happen. Another thing that we see a lot is discs sticking together, which causes problems because then they drop and get jammed places or you end up with two discs stacked on top of each other in the drive or on the printer. This can happen when humidity rises, which starts to happen around this time of year. We fan the discs with our hands really well and then use compressed air (from a compressor, not a can) to blast all of the discs before they are loaded to make sure they are nice and dry and separated.

One other thing you could check is the alignment of the picker/gripper of your Primera. Over time it can drift and if it is slightly out of alignment, it may not be making proper contact with the discs. This could be causing picker failure. Check with the manufacturer to see how you remedy this as it is different for every system.

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on Jun 7, 2012 at 2:39:23 pm

this is definately a disc problem and a CD one at that. the system picks DVD's no problem. it seems to be the latest batch of Verbatim CD's, they must be manufacturing them thicker or thinner i think.

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Jun 7, 2012 at 2:42:19 pm

I would ask your sales rep about it. If you can narrow the problem down to being that specific, it sounds like you are right about it being a disc-specific issue. Even if they won't admit to changing something on them, maybe you can at least get them exchanged for a different disc?

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on Jun 7, 2012 at 2:45:42 pm

yep, gonna try some Taiyo CD's

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Jun 7, 2012 at 6:03:42 pm

One thing we found is that the more rounded the profile on the edge of the inner hole, the more trouble automated systems will have picking up and handling the discs.

The best DVD-R stock we ever used in automated machinery was made by Pioneer. The inside hole was cut with a perfectly square profile, and it was rare to see an automated duplicator or printer have difficulty picking these discs.

As someone else mentioned, the alignment of the machinery can make a major difference in improving operation.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on Jun 7, 2012 at 7:55:28 pm

that figures Bill, i was thinking it was maybe the overall thickness of the disc. i just tried turning a Verbatim disc over and guess what...
the Composer picks it. for some reason DVD discs are not a problem, it's CDr's.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]