FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD headache

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Sheline
DVD headache
on Jun 5, 2012 at 10:28:21 pm

I'm supposed to rip a copy of an old promotional DVD for the non-profit I work for. I tried a few free apps that should handle the task, but no luck. HandBrake got the farthest, transcoding about 6 of 11 mins of video, then it just stopped as if it had completed the whole thing. So I bought MacX DVD Ripper Pro, and got basically the same result. I toyed with settings a LOT, with no more than about 4 mins ever successfully transcoded, and sometimes it wouldn't even start.

Then I tried plopping the audio and video files from the DVD into a disk image to see if I could point to them using DVD Ripper Pro's DVD Path function, but it didn't do anything but open an empty parent folder.

I'm kind of at a loss, and this is an important DVD for our organization. What else should I try?

The DVD is pretty old—from 2005—and apparently the company we hired to produce it wasn't very technologically savvy so the authoring program could've been from like the '90s. Dunno if that's relevant.

I'm on OSX 10.6.8 on a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac with 8GB mem

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD headache
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:36:13 pm

There is a chance the DVD itself is bad. If it is hanging up at the same place in different apps I would say it is that for sure.

Mpeg streamclip is probably the best free app out there. Cinematize is what I use a lot but it is not free. The main thing is you want to be ripping to either elementary streams m2v and separate audio file if don't need to edit the ripped video. If you need to edit rip as a qt dv or prores codec.

If no software works with ripping you can record the DVD if you have a dv camera or capture card on a computer. Also try another DVD if you can find one.

Return to posts index

Sam Sheline
on Jun 6, 2012 at 12:55:52 pm

Thanks, good suggestions.

I should've mentioned that I have 5 copies of the DVD and they all act the same, so it's not damage to the specific disk.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:15:33 pm

If you have Premiere CS5 or newer, and the DVD is not copy-protected, copy the VIDEO_TS folder from disc to your hard drive, then IMPORT the .vob files directly into Premiere to edit, no ripping needed.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]