FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD - HD or Blu Ray or ?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geralyn Abinader
DVD - HD or Blu Ray or ?
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:06:57 pm

Hi - I have 3 HD videos that I need to give a client on DVD as part of a proposal. A couple of questions:

What I've heard in the past (on this forum) is that HD DVD isn't really the way to go; Blu Ray is. But I would need to make sure the client has a Blu Ray disc player, right?

Compressor 4 had HD options. Has anyone had any experience with it? Does it have HD options for DVD?

I haven't had to deliver anything on DVD for so long I don't know where the technology is these days.

Thanks,

Geralyn

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
Re: DVD - HD or Blu Ray or ?
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:42:36 pm

Hi Geralyn,

HD-DVD is dead. There are almost no instances where it should ever be used. I say almost because I have one client that adopted it very early on and uses it for a specific purpose in-house, so I deliver on it for them. They are literally the only client I use it for and they are the only people I know that use it.

These is a thread below this that we just discussed delivering in HD. You should read it as it has some good comments. There are a lot of assumptions you have to make to deliver HD to someone. While you are typically safe delivering a BD-R, even this isn't a given. Talk to the person you are giving it to and find out what methods they have to play it. Perhaps an HD Quicktime or WMV file on a flash drive or DVD-Rom is the best way for them. If it seems uncomfortable to ask up front, try to spin it into a chance to demonstrate that you understand the technology and the current limitations of it.

Specifically to your question about Compressor - I believe versions 3.5 and 4 can both burn simple Blu-ray Discs. Toast and Adobe Encore can also do this, both with a few more options than Compressor.

Return to posts index

Geralyn Abinader
Re: DVD - HD or Blu Ray or ?
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:48:27 pm

Many thanks. This is really helpful and I'll read the thread you sent as well. Maybe I can just convince them to take a flash drive and make our lives easier! Thanks again.

Geralyn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]