FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bluray delivery

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Culleton
Bluray delivery
on May 29, 2012 at 3:36:44 pm

i dont have a bluray drive so i'm thinking the best way to deliver to manufacturing plant is on a USB stick, can i just send the ISO file?

also... is bluray 'region free' as std? i cant see any options to change regions in DVDA.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Bluray delivery
on May 30, 2012 at 2:41:23 am

Are you sending to a replicator? If so you need to send a BDCMF image and DVDA does not allow that. Only professional authoring systems allow that. You dont want to be using DVDA for a title for mass distributions.

What is your end product?

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on May 30, 2012 at 9:07:13 am

have to say i've never had a request for Blu-ray so this is all toe in the water. i'm guessing that someday i will be asked to produce one and if i have to send for replication it would be good to have all the tools. all of the authoring i do is for corporate clients and i use DVDLab.

if the reality is spending alot of cash to author Blu-ray i think i'll pass on it. i also read alot of opinions that Blu-ray is not gonna be around for too long anyways?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on May 30, 2012 at 4:11:19 pm

Tools used to author titles for replication start around 4k and go up to 50k.

Also there are too many pitfalls and rules that go into producing a title that I wouldn't suggest going it alone unless you've done your homework.

Lots of embarrassed producers out there who think BD is just like DVD and end up loosing time and money on a project that was doomed from the get go.

Start with books like Blu Ray Demystified and go from there. :)

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on May 30, 2012 at 4:18:52 pm

that's kind of what i wanted to hear Eric, many thanks, i'll pass.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 1, 2012 at 10:16:51 am

Eric and John, I'm puzzled. I've been encoding and burning BD's for a while now because as I'm finishing up with an HD project in the ProRes 422 HQ codec I really don't want it only to be viewed in SD on a DVD (which I also produce, downscaled from the HD). How else do you exhibit a film lovingly shot in full HD? I don't need menus or fancy graphics, just the film ready to play and Toast 11 Pro does fine for me. I also hear that BD has no future so what then? I send films sometimes in file form (QT .mov) which is a good way to transmit if you can spare (lend) a drive but then how is it exhibited.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 1, 2012 at 2:20:14 pm

John was talking about sending a project for replication. Toast is fine for simple projects

I don't see BD going anywhere anytime soon. Once the entire world is wired and we can reliably download and watch 1080 p video with decent bitrate, then maybe . That's all years away though

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on Jun 1, 2012 at 5:31:10 pm

this a reply i got from another forum...

"Now you can play camera files straight from USB stick on TV's, DVD/BD players or tiny stand alone $50 boxes like O!play. You can store them on NAS and stream them to ipad.
A BD disk is actually pretty limiting medium for home made stuff if you think about it. Once you start putting your files to terabyte NAS and stream them around your house, going to BD feels like a big step back"

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:42:12 pm

There are plenty of other methods to distribute HD content, but all of them have pros and cons and compatibility limitations, not to mention varying degrees of simplicity (or lack there of) for the end user. A good solution to deliver HD content to a client should start with several questions about what they intend to do with it and the best solution will likely be different for each project.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 1, 2012 at 7:03:10 pm

[Matt Townley] "There are plenty of other methods to distribute HD content, but all of them have pros and cons and compatibility limitations, not to mention varying degrees of simplicity (or lack there of) for the end user. A good solution to deliver HD content to a client should start with several questions about what they intend to do with it and the best solution will likely be different for each project."

Thats a great comment!

Tons of ways to delivery content.....I was only referring to deliveries to a Blu Ray replicator

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 2, 2012 at 9:35:16 am

Eric, I do appreciate that I went a bit off thread considering your original post. As regards actually enabling people to see your film I still can only think of two types of media, DVD and BD. Some broadcasters ask for files on a drive, that's fine, but when it comes to selling copies they use DVD or BD. One channel here in the UK wanted a DVCAM tape, but that was a couple of years go! I get requests for films that I've made all the time and I'd love for them to be seen in nice uncompressed HD via file but how to send it and ow will they play it?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jun 13, 2012 at 4:34:00 am

professional BD-authoring-applications no longer starting at 4k$.

look at BDEdit or EasyBD from DVD Logics, which cost 800 or 1200$

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:13:27 am

are you using these Daniel? BDedit looks like freeware? what are the differences between these and Encore/DVDA etc?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jun 15, 2012 at 12:07:59 pm

John,
there is a simple (freeware) one EasyBD, that could easily create muxed BDs, but you have no possibilty to create interactive menus or popup-features.

if you like to implement those features, and you don´t need mixed/multi-angle-features/BD-J then EasyBD Suite will be a good choice for you.

IF you need to go further, you choice would be EasyBD Studio or BD Author (full-spec-authoring)

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 15, 2012 at 5:50:16 pm

I always forget about about Logic :)

Let's not forget to mention the huge learning curve your going have to get over. Also Logics tools still don't output a CMF image.....you'll need another tool for that called Blu Streak.

I'm just trying to give you an understanding the scope of taking on a BD project from a newbie pov. I've been in your situation too. You have to have a true passion for this to get over that curve....
Not trying to scar you but it's not an easy thing

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on Jun 15, 2012 at 6:56:25 pm

hear you loud and clear Eric, i'm gonna pass on BD authoring, the cost and learning curve doesn't add up at this stage for me, plus i'm still waiting for a customer to ask for a BD disc?

and i guarantee when someone does they wont want to pay any extra for the authoring

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jun 15, 2012 at 7:25:20 pm

john,
agree - it´s all about money ;)

if someone would like to go further just call eric or me - we can do the job for you...

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]