FORUMS: list search recent posts

VOB editing on Mac

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Walker
VOB editing on Mac
on Mar 28, 2012 at 7:26:40 pm

Can anyone recommend Mac based software that can do the following...

1) Edit VOB's from a DVD in their original state (cutting, trimming, copying and pasting is all that's necessary). These are all non-commercial DVD's, so I'm not trying to break encryption.

2) Keep the authoring intact

3) Be able to add additional footage to the original

4) Replace audio if necessary

Btw, I've tried MPEG Streamclip for a quick conversion, but it always seems to lessen the audio somewhat.

Thanks in advance. My apologies if this isn't the correct topic to post this under.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: VOB editing on Mac
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:06:30 am

Not exactly sure what you need to do my DVD AfterEdit or My DVD Edit are the only one on the mac.

Honestly though you should extract all the assets and reauthor. Unless you are entirely clear on the specifications for DVD, YOU WILL screw things up. :)

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:04:13 pm

I have a bunch of old corporate instructional DVD's that need to have a few minutes of updated footage added to the middle of the video . My only master is the finished DVD. Therefore I am starting with VOB's.

Can I pull the original authoring from a DVD and reuse it?

My understanding is that I can convert the video VOB's to an editable format(.MOV etc), but can't reuse the authoring. However, I have heard a few indications that DVD After Edit allows the authoring to be reused. Can anyone confirm?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 29, 2012 at 6:25:19 pm

AE allows you to replace a VOB with another VOB. But first you need to extract the original MPEG stream, attach it to the new piece, remux then use AEs VOB replacement
function. This is all done whe keeping the authoring intact.

AEs is also $400 and there are PC tools which are free

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Mar 29, 2012 at 6:37:15 pm

Thank you Eric, I will try this.

When you say "you need to extract the original MPEG stream" you mean what specifically?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 29, 2012 at 6:50:07 pm

You need to demux the MPEG stream and edit in the new portion first. Streamclip and Cinemitize are good for this. Never had issues with audio in Stremaclip like you mentioned.

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Mar 29, 2012 at 6:56:08 pm

Thanks, you're the man!

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Apr 4, 2012 at 8:38:00 pm

So I demuxed the VOB in MPEG Stream Clip, and imported the M2V into AE 5.5. Next I pulled the M2V and Aiff into the timeline in AE and made my changes that I wanted to the video. At this point I went Composition/Make Movie and chose the MPEG-2 option along with multiplexing to bum the audio and video into the same file. It was at this point I still didn't have a VOB, so I changed the extension. This didn't work when played back in a DVD player. I don't see any option that sends the file from AE to a VOB. What am I missing here?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Apr 5, 2012 at 12:54:34 am

Not After Effects...it's After Edit you need. But like I said, it cost money and you'll need time to get over the learning curve.

I'd extract all the assets and reauthor from scratch

As another option, I could run it through After Edit this weekend if you'd like....let me know

Eric

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Apr 5, 2012 at 5:11:43 pm

Wow, that's hilarious. I was kind of wondering why you said AE. I misunderstood :) I have been racking my brain thinking I was crazy for not figuring this out. I'm wondering why in the world is this guy using After Effects? I will pick up After Edit.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Apr 5, 2012 at 6:04:09 pm

Honestly Ryan you might want to reconsider before spending $ 700. :)

See my other post in the DVDSP thread

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]