FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sharing Authored DVD Files So Others Can Burn Their Own DVD's

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Turner
Sharing Authored DVD Files So Others Can Burn Their Own DVD's
on Mar 2, 2012 at 5:26:55 am

Hi Ever Helpful Forum,

I have a relatively strange question. I call it strange because I don't know an eloquent way to say what I am trying to do (and if I did I may have had better luck searching and finding the answer in the forums).

What I would like to do is to create some simple way to author a DVD and then share my files with someone else so they can burn their own DVDs. The catch is that the other person is not a super technically savvy person and doesn't have the authoring programs that I have (DVD Studio Pro, Toast Titanium...)

What I've done so far is authored and burned 1 DVD using DVD Studio Pro. It is not perfect, but pretty good for SD and for my uses for these DVDs. I am guessing (and I may be wrong) that I can not just copy my video and audio TS folders, send him these folders, and he can burn them to a DVD as a Data Disk. My gut says there are a million things to go wrong in there, but maybe not. Although 1 more hitch is at least 1 of the 3rd party people is using a Windows machine.

The reason for this strange workflow is the people I am sending this to (or want to) need to burn 20-50 DVDs over the next year or so. They will burn a few here and there as they need them.

My ultimate question is: Is there a simple way I can share DVD files for others to burn? If so, how can I do it? And will I have to re-author DVDs in Toast or Studio Pro or can I use the files (or export additional files somehow) from DVD Studio Pro?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Sharing Authored DVD Files So Others Can Burn Their Own DVD's
on Mar 2, 2012 at 4:22:09 pm

David,

You can send them the Video_TS folder, and the recipients can then burn their own DVDs using Toast on Mac or Nero, Easy DVD Creator, etc. on PC. DVDs must be burned using DVD burning software so that the files are arranged in the correct order on the DVD.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 2, 2012 at 8:44:27 pm

Hi David,

You don't even need to send then the VIDEO_TS folder by itself - just get them a finished DVD and they can COPY the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD to their hard drive. Then as Bill suggested, use almost any DVD burning software. On PC, you can get BurnAware for FREE.

As you already figured, simply burning the VIDEO_TS to a disc as DATA is no good, must use a "DVD VIDEO" preset. Another option - send customer an .iso, which is a disc image, and they can then simply burn new copies using the .iso.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

David Turner
on Mar 2, 2012 at 11:16:58 pm

Hey Bill and Jeff,

Thanks for your responses. Jeff 2 questions:

If I sent a DVD to this person, how would they go about copying it? Is that an option with BurnAware? Or is there another program for copying the DVD I send them?

I like the iso option too. How do I create an iso? Is that with DVD Studio Pro or Toast Titanium? Or is there some built in mac way to do it? Also, if I got he iso route, do they still need to use DVD software like BurnAware, or are they burning the iso onto a DVD like a data disk?

Thanks again for your time!

Best,
David

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 3, 2012 at 4:49:50 am

Also, dont forget Google :)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+copy+a+dvd&oq=how+to+cop...

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 5, 2012 at 2:51:48 pm

Hi David,

I don't know the Apple workflow, but Adobe Encore offers the option to create an .iso file direct from the project. As for burning, most any burning software should give you the option to burn from an .iso or "disc image" file.

As for pulling a VIDEO_TS from an existing DVD, if it is NOT encrypted - which it won't be if you burned it - just open the disc in the computer and copy the file to your hard drive like any other file. As mentioned earlier, in burning software, make sure you choose "DVD Video" or similar and NOT "Data" when choosing burn option.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

David Turner
on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:06:29 am

Thanks guys! I created an ISO with Toast and sent him that. I haven't heard if he has had any problems burning it yet, but I think it will work out perfectly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]