FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro authoring

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrik Kisucky
DVD Studio Pro authoring
on Feb 29, 2012 at 1:32:49 am

Good evening everyone.

My problem is that once I author the DVD using DVD SP, and play it on my PS3 + HD TV, or other DVD player + HD projector, the image is zoomed in (cropped). I'm aware about the Action safe, or Title safe area, but I've never had this problem before. I shoot HD on Sony EX1, using Pro res 422 (HQ) setting for my fcp7 timeline. Then I send it to the compressor and using DVD: Best quality 90 min setting. In DVD Studio Pro, I've chosen the project to be SD with 16:9 aspect ratio, and changed all the other aspect ratios to 16:9 letter box. Please let me know, if you find a mistake in my workflow. My goal is to output what I record to my EX1 camera, or close to it, on the DVD. What I'm getting is way cropped. Appreciate any advice! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD Studio Pro authoring
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:40:44 am

You need to explain what you mean by "cropped" all sides? how much? Then how is you Ps3 or other DVD players set up to handle the upscaling.

If you are keeping the footage 16:9 through out the process there is nothing less to do.

Return to posts index

Patrik Kisucky
on Feb 29, 2012 at 2:32:10 pm

It's zoomed in, I'd say 10-15%, which could just be the action safe area. But the thing is that I have never had that happening before on either player (ps3, sony player) before. I had to reinstall final cut sudio, so I assume I had different setup before. The truth is though that imac plays it fine, it's only zoomed in when I use other players. I played with the players setup, but the image is still zoomed in. Thanks for helping.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 29, 2012 at 7:28:26 pm

DVD pretty much is what it is as long as you format 4:3 or 16:9 correctly. Sounds like a setting on the display or player that is not what you expect.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Patrik Kisucky
on Feb 29, 2012 at 9:43:21 pm

Well, but even when I play with the settings on the player, the image is still zoomed in. My setting in DVD studio pro seemed to be correct, right? I have set the display mode under the general preferences to be 16:9 letterbox, 16:9, and SD under the simulator. In the inspector for the menu, and the track I chose 16:9 letterbox as well. The strange thing though is, that above the aspect ratio window is the resolution, and that is set for 720 x 480i, and you can't change it for SD projects. Please let me know, if I've done something wrong, but it seems it is what it is, and I guess I just might have to move to Adobe encore perhaps?

Return to posts index

Patrik Kisucky
on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:50:21 pm

I just tried all of the possible setting changes on my ps3. Upscaling, letterbox, I think I tried everything, but the picture just remains zoome in, in comparison what's in my dvd studio pro in my viewer on the computer. Don't know what to do anymore.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 1, 2012 at 6:19:08 am

There is nothing to do, there is no "zoom in" setting, 10% is action safe. You should except and be okay if that is cut off.

Return to posts index

Patrik Kisucky
on Mar 1, 2012 at 1:06:35 pm

There is zoom in settings on my HD TV. I just wanted to say, that I tried to change everything I could in my dvd player setting, or my TV setting, just to be sure.In any case, I can work around the action safe area, but it appears to me that that when I play the final DVD, the image appears to be zoomed in, in comparison with my original footage. I'll update if I'll have something new. Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Mar 1, 2012 at 8:48:56 pm

patrick,
you wont see the full image on a TV that you could see within your edit-programm.

that´s action-save-area, it´s about 10% loose from the outer border of your image and you are NTSC DVD, so your picture will be cropped from 720x486 to 720x480.

if you presume that your HD-film will fit on 720x486, then indeed - there will be some cropping on the SD-side, but it will be on your top and bottom end.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 1, 2012 at 11:55:57 pm

Screen shots of your original vs the DVD ??

Return to posts index

Patrik Kisucky
on Mar 2, 2012 at 5:32:06 pm

Thanks everyone for helping, I guess, it could be around 10% crop. For some reason, I've never noticed that in the past.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]