FORUMS: list search recent posts

encoding with VBR

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Ralston
encoding with VBR
on Feb 12, 2012 at 2:04:13 pm

Hi,

I have made 2 x 73min films I would like to put onto one DVD. I cut them in Avid and exported 2 high res H.264 files as masters.

I have then used Apple Compressor to make MPEG2 files. I used the setting 'DVD Nest Quality 150min'

The quality isn't great. I have heard you can encode it VBR so it gives more data to complex parts of the film and less to others to maximise overall quality. I can not work out how to do this with Compressor. Does anyone know how and what settings I would have to use?

Thank you in advance.

Steve

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: ncoding with VBR
on Feb 12, 2012 at 4:41:26 pm

That's because h.264 is a delivery codec and not a mastering one. Spit out an uncompressed OT lossy codec like ProRes and Try it again

Return to posts index

Steve Ralston
on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:39:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Eric.

Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean by 'uncompressed OT lossy codec.'

I can output at ProRes. Just the normal one or the HQ version do you think? What about the VBR?

Thanks a lot,

Steve

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 12, 2012 at 6:27:55 pm

Sorry....my iPhone trys to correct my, already bad, spelling. I meant "uncompressed OR lossy" . The normal Prores is fine for DVD

With that much time on a disc you definitely need to go VBR. It will do a 2 pass to determine what bitrate it best for what scenes

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 13, 2012 at 1:32:50 am

FYI - Apple presets are horrible. They are way too high on the max and too big of a spread. 2 pass VBR takes longer but gives you a more acturate file size. Set the average to 3.8 and the to 6Mbps. Make sure you encode the audio to ac3 at .192Mbps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]