FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-Ray DTS MAS and NetBlender DoStudio

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Carlson
Blu-Ray DTS MAS and NetBlender DoStudio
on Feb 11, 2012 at 3:23:31 am

Hi Authors,

I am going to be authoring Blu-ray audio-only discs using DTS Master Audio Suite to encode and then DoStudio Indie to author. When I installed the DTS program today, there was no option to input 44.1K audio files (that I could see anyway). Are 44.1K and 88.2 out of the spec, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

If out of spec, could I import the six 44.1K 24 bit PCM .wav files into DoStudio and author from inside that program? There won't be any video, just audio. If not, I could always go back to DVD-A for the few 44.1K titles, using DiskWelder Chrome.

Thanks in Advance,

Tom Carlson

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Blu-Ray DTS MAS and NetBlender DoStudio
on Feb 11, 2012 at 4:21:22 am

You should be asking this to Netblender and DTS support. You'll get much better info. There no such thing as 44.1K 24 bit PCM. Not sure where you got 88.2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Audio

Be silly to author a DVD-A since nobody owns a player. Also, there has to be video of some kind since BD is a video format

I recently did a 5.1 96k, 24bit DTS Master Audio title that sounded great. good luck

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 11, 2012 at 8:25:49 am

[eric pautsch] "Be silly to author a DVD-A since nobody owns a player."

I've got one. It is in a pile of stuff I no longer have hocked up. :)

Return to posts index

Tom Carlson
on Feb 11, 2012 at 2:37:50 pm

Thanks, Eric, that's the information I was looking for. The Wikipedia chart confirms that 44.1K is not part of the Blu-ray spec. I had already contacted both DTS and NetBlender, but was hoping to get a faster answer here (which I did!)

These are "vanity pressings" that I do for composers I work with. They all have DVD-A's at this point on their players, because most of them have UDP's. So that's the way I'll go for the few 44.1K projects that I have.

Tom

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 11, 2012 at 7:28:48 pm

44.1 is just your normal CD sampling rate. For it to be worth your effort you'll need 96 or 192 remastered audio. Taking 44.1 and putting it onto bd will not improve the quality :)

Return to posts index

Tom Carlson
on Feb 11, 2012 at 7:53:01 pm

Yes, of course, and I usually have 24 bit 96K 5.1 source material to work with. However, in this case, my source material is 44.1K 24 bit on about 72 tracks, so my mix downs will be six 5.1 44.1K wave files. Rather than SRC-ing them to 48K, I think what I will do is author these to DVD-A, so that I can have a lossless compression scheme (MLP) and still keep the multitrack format and not have to upsample. Luckily, I don't have too many like this, so I won't have to revert to a moribund or dead format too often.

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]