FORUMS: list search recent posts

BluRay authoring/burning questions for a VERY tight deadline!

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nayeli Garci-Crespo
BluRay authoring/burning questions for a VERY tight deadline!
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:28:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but I couldn't find a BluRay authoring forum.

I have some questions about the time required to author and burn a BluRay I was hoping someone could help me with!

Here's the background: We have a feature film being graded as DPX files on a Lustre at a post house, and in order to make it for a festival submission, will need to make a BluRay with subtitles. We have less than 24 hours from the moment the sound designer gives us his mix to when we need to ship three copies of the BluRays!! The post house has done a test with the software/hardware they have (not sure what these are, but they work on PCs), and they tell me:

1. They cannot compress the video beforehand, but must do it in conjunction with the audio.
2. It takes them 11 hours to do the compression.
3. It takes them 3 hours to burn each BluRay.

I had suggested they compress the video beforehand so that they only had to do the audio last-minute and we could make deadline. They say it is not possible with the software they have. They are looking into other options and I said I'd help research.

Do you guys have any guidance in this respect? Thanks so much!

-Nayeli

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: BluRay authoring/burning questions for a VERY tight deadline!
on Feb 9, 2012 at 10:56:47 pm

I'd send blank Blu-rays in a FedEx box to buy some time (but you didn't hear that from me.) And finish the discs the next day with the post house (who sounds like they need to upgrade their gear to something a bit faster).

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 10, 2012 at 1:55:53 am

Those number aren't that far off. The best you can do is maybe 2 or 3 x runtime with a 2 pass VBR encode. Burning shouldn't take that long. 1 hour max

There's isn't a facility in the work that could deliver this is less than a 7 or 8 hours

I encode without audio all the time. As long as your audio matches your source video, it should be fine. Find out why they are encoding and authoring with

The real question however is why is this being discussed 24 hrs ahead of the deadline? :)

Return to posts index

Nayeli Garci-Crespo
on Feb 10, 2012 at 9:07:56 pm

Thanks for the response. I found a facility that can do it faster (the post house doesn't specialize in this, and I realized they don't quite know how to use their software, which IS Adobe Encore)... now we just have to figure out if we can fit it into the budget! (This is something that will happen next month, I'm just preparing.)

-Nayeli

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 11, 2012 at 2:46:06 am

Oh cool! Good luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]