FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS combo recorder

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aryn Leigh
Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS combo recorder
on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:27:13 pm

Hi there!

Our VHS/DVD burner-recorder died on us last week, which has been very useful in the past for converting VHS tapes to DVD. I'm wondering if there's not a device out there that has VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray recording capabilities. We'd also like to hook up our FCP system to record directly onto a Blu-Ray burner. Does anything like that exist?

-AL

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS combo recorder
on Feb 8, 2012 at 2:33:47 am

I don't get it.....why not buy a blu ray burner? Why would you want to convert VHS to blu ray?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 8, 2012 at 3:00:35 am

I don't think there are BluRay recorders that record a live feed. Hollywood has gone out of its way to make sure that HD signals do not get recorded. Also the ability to record a H264 HD stream would take a hoss of a system. There maybe devices out on the market but have yet to see anything like DVD-Recorder/players.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Feb 9, 2012 at 2:58:47 am

Well there's this unit from JVC:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101893ml

JVC is supposed to release a new unit this year that has an HD SDI input.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:05:42 am

Standin' here, cooking my dinner over my combination fire pit and microwave oven, talking on my combination telegraph and cellphone, I can't offhand think of such a beast. Not to mention that, while there are DVD recorders, I have not encountered a Blu-ray recorder other than the PC type, or the original non-standard, MPEG-2 only STBs from 9 years ago, Japan-only.

But seriously... no, there's no Blu-ray/VHS Combo. Nearly every Blu-ray player will also play DVD and CD, though it's not a required thing (they're all different specifications). Most Blu-ray players will also play AVCHD DVDs from camcorders (and the same format on memory card, if they have a memory card reader).

I actually still have a semi-professional JVC SVHS deck, and another fairly good Panasonic SVHS deck, so along with a digitizer of some kind, I can bring VHS into my PC pretty easily (last time this was needed, I used my old Sony Digital8 camcorder, which did analog to DV encoding). If you need a consumer-quality VHS deck, there's one at every yard sale, going rate around $10. And they do still exist in stores.

Yeah, sure, it's a little more work to convert via PC. On the other hand, some of the evils of VHS can be solved with readily available image processing tools, before going to disc. And there's really not much point in recording VHS to Blu-ray anyway... if you convert regular VHS to 352x480 MPEG-2, you're doing it a kindness, and you can fit crazy amounts on a DVD.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]