FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the difference between 2.0 Stereo, 2.0 Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Tranquille
What is the difference between 2.0 Stereo, 2.0 Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital?
on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:39:15 pm

Hi,

I need a little bit of precisions on these differents ac3 formats.

Here's what I know, correct me if I'm wrong:

-2.0 Stereo is basically L & R, recorded separatly and playing on their respective speaker.

-2.0 Dolby Surround is 4 channels (L,C,R,S) encoded through a Matrix to a LtRt signal and decoded by the amp to play on the L & R speakers, splitting the surround informations on both speakers.

-Dolby Digital, is actually the same thing than Dolby Surround except it goes up to 6 channels.
Although commonly associated with the 5.1 channel configuration, Dolby Digital allows a number of different channel selections. The options are:

* Mono (Center only)
* 2-channel stereo (Left + Right), optionally carrying matrixed Dolby Surround
* 3-channel stereo (Left, Center, Right)
* 2-channel stereo with mono surround (Left, Right, Surround)
* 3-channel stereo with mono surround (Left, Center, Right, Surround)
* 4-channel quadraphonic (Left, Right, Left Surround, Right Surround)
* 5-channel surround (Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, Right Surround)
(From Wikipedia)

If that's true, then what's the difference between 2 channels stereo carrying matrixed surround and 2 channel stereo with mono surround.

Please help me understand all this, I'm getting really confused.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: What is the difference between 2.0 Stereo, 2.0 Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital?
on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:13:39 pm

You might well be right in your definitions but that is not always how it works.

Although I'm encoding for 2 Dolby Stereo with an ac3 file, in my edit I adjust my audio channels to centre so that I get the same from both speakers as I generally shoot with one channel or at least select the edit channel from one of two inputs. Except that with a music sequence I leave as it's recorded, ie. left and right and when the DVD plays it will play as a CD would, in stereo. It this sensible or should I being doing this differently?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]