FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best choice of framerate for animation in view of eventual output in ntsc, pal and hd

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johannes Schwarz
Best choice of framerate for animation in view of eventual output in ntsc, pal and hd
on Jan 2, 2012 at 2:29:49 pm

Hi there,

I did some searching, but came up empty handed.

Here is the scenario:

I have an animator doing animations for a project.
I will composite these in After Effects to add some footage of a drawing hand and a paper background moving with the animation.
I have to add 7 language tracks.

And here is my questions:

This project will come out on a PAL-DVD, an NTSC-DVD and on blu-ray.

The animator will deliver 1080p, but what frame rate should I request?

To me it seems, I should ask for 30p and also record my footage in 30p. It is the highest frame rate and it would seem, dropping frames in converting to NTSC (29.97) or PAL (25) should be easier, than making them up, right?

Or is there any better solution for "going global" with a project?

Thanks for your insights,
Johannes

Return to posts index

Johannes Schwarz
Re: Best choice of framerate for animation in view of eventual output in ntsc, pal and hd
on Jan 2, 2012 at 2:47:54 pm

Ok, I originally wrote this post in another forum. Now I realize, that I searched in that other forum. I repeated the search here and came up with this proposal:

Should I ask the animator for 1080p with a 24 (23,98) frame rate?
Then, use this for a blu-ray and resize the materialto make an NTSC 24p (actually 23,98) DVD which will play both in NTSC and PAL countries?

Thanks for you input,
Johannes

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Best choice of framerate for animation in view of eventual output in ntsc, pal and hd
on Jan 2, 2012 at 3:14:10 pm

You DO want to go global.

Have them create a 1920x 1080 23.98. This can be used for the BD.

Also have them give you a 720x480 23.98 16x9 Anamorphic file which will be encoded progressive in an NTSC DVD project. This will okay in both the US and Europe

Return to posts index

Johannes Schwarz
on Jan 2, 2012 at 3:53:52 pm

Thanks Eric,

Since I will go over the animation in after effects adding footage to it, I guess, the 1080p @ 23.98 will be the only one I need from them.

Greetings,
Johannes

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:57:59 pm

Right on- 1080/24p is about the closest thing to a globally viable master format...

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]