FORUMS: list search recent posts

comparrisons ... time for an update?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terence Kearns
comparrisons ... time for an update?
on Dec 23, 2011 at 12:35:32 am

Okay I'm well aware of various DVD Authoring tool comparrison threads, but the ones I looked at seem out of date. I'm looking for a tool to invest in for the future.

I've just used Encore CS5.1 to produce a DVD and while I was impressed with it's photoshop integration, I was seriously hacked off with several very frastrating bugs relating to aspects of the menus not working plus the fact that it rejected a perfectly DVD compliant MPEG stream which took me 30 hours to encode directly from my NLE (resulting in an ugly recompressed version due to deadlines looming).

I have an old Copy of DVD Lab (standard) which has been remarkably useful over the years. I like the overall approach to the task of DVD authoring, but using this very old copy, I have had disks which work on some DVD players and not others. But 10 years have passed and I assume those issues have been sorted. The latest version of DVD Lab Pro 2.5 is still only about the DVDs and has no Blu-Ray support.

I used DVD Architect trial a long time ago but I was under the impression that Sony didn't do much with it. I found myself going back to the rudimentary DVD Lab after trialing it. What's the story with Blu-Ray support?

I would like some qualitative general remarks based on people's experiences with any/all DVD/Blu-Ray authoring tools. This topic may have been covered before, but I want commentary on the LATEST VERSIONS of the relevent tools to reflect the CURRENT state of play.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: comparrisons ... time for an update?
on Dec 23, 2011 at 3:16:23 am

First of all, DVD and BD are two separate technologies. They are not even close, so its best to talk about them separately. 2nd, DVD has no future to speak of. All the tools you find will have no or little improvements or updates.

DVDLab Pro is fine...in fact, its the most functional tool at its price. DVDSP is great too. Ive been using Scenarist for years now though. I would never touch Encore....way too many issues plus its lacking in certain things I need.

As far as BD goes, see my post above

Return to posts index

Terence Kearns
Re: comparrisons ... time for an update?
on Dec 23, 2011 at 3:47:31 am

Thanks Eric, I appreciate your considerable input.

Yes, Encore does seem to have it's fair share of frustrated users if you examine enough forum threads on various sites.

I think I am leaning towards DVD Lab Pro at this point because
1) Customers still seem to be asking for DVDs according to my local contacts
2) It seems to get good reports and it's the right price.
3) It seems to allow you to script things once you become advanced enough to need it (I have a programming background anyway).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]