FORUMS: list search recent posts

Highlighted Text buttons of PSD menus look ugly in DVDSP

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Topham
Highlighted Text buttons of PSD menus look ugly in DVDSP
on Dec 21, 2011 at 2:34:32 am

I've started making my menus in Photoshop for DVD Studio Pro authoring.
I like making buttons with text that highlights when it selected, but I can't get the overlay highlight to match the actual text.

I duplicate the text button layer for the overlay and it should be exact, but it's always a bit fuzzy and causes a really ugly look in DVDSP.
Is the solution as simple as needing to make my PSD menu files with a greater dpi? Or is it as annoyingly complicated as zooming in, lowering opacity and going pixel by pixel to black exactly where the letter edges are (which, I actually tried and it still turned out terrible).

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Highlighted Text buttons of PSD menus look ugly in DVDSP
on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:21:01 am

NOPE, DVD menus will always be 720x480 and displayed at 72 dpi. The problem is that an overlay is a lot lower resolution, that is why things stair step so easily. If you look at Hollywood DVDs you will find very few Text buttons and when you do they are normally big and bold with heavy borders that find the edges. Another issue you have is that quality goes down depending on how the DVD is hooked up to a TV, If the user is using composite vs component it will look even worse and probably will not line up. It is the nature of the beast.

The best solution is to have a light color for text and then a heavy stroke border, then on the overlay the is more more than 11 or 12 about 75% opaque. The other way is to use another color or shade of gray to act as anti-liasing and you step down the transparency but use the same color. Using black as your text color will give you a little bit of this automatically.

So black = blue 13
Dark gray = blue at 11
light gray = blue at 9

Your text overlay should look sharper.

Return to posts index

Steven Topham
Re: Highlighted Text buttons of PSD menus look ugly in DVDSP
on Dec 22, 2011 at 2:08:04 am

Fantastic response. Thanks for providing a solution even though text buttons are probably not the best route.
Many thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]