FORUMS: list search recent posts

dvd settings

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Barker
dvd settings
on Nov 23, 2011 at 1:38:35 pm

I have been searching the internet and this forum but cannot find anything that works so I am hoping someone may be able to help... I have a 20 minute video clip, full hd, exported in apple proes 422. looks fantastic on 27" monitor but when I burn it on DVD and watch it in 40" lcd tv it looks worse than stuff I shot on an sd camera.

Any ideas how I can get it looking better on dvd (blu ray not an option)

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: dvd settings
on Nov 23, 2011 at 2:58:34 pm

"it looks worse than stuff I shot on an sd camera"

It's because you are reducing it to SD. DVD is SD...period.

There are probably a couple of possibilities for what you are seeing.

1 - You are transcoding to a lower bitrate than you could be, which is the main setting that can affect the quality of your picture. Make sure you transcode to the highest bitrate available for the amount of video you are trying to get onto a DVD. There are several 'bitrate calculators' on the internet that will help you do just that.

2 - It may be a perception issue. You shot in HD, edited in Prores 422, then reduced to SD to make a DVD, but your mind is still thinking HD and Prores 422, which your video isn't even relatively close to any longer.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 23, 2011 at 6:17:40 pm

This is asked and answered a 1000 times. Your stuff should look better than stuff shoot on an SD camera though. Give all your settings and steps if you want specific help or do a search for generic help, if is here 100s of times.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 23, 2011 at 6:25:22 pm

Gary, as Michael explains, your finished DVD (SD remember) should still look better, seeing it was shot in HD, than it would if it was shot in SD. The key is in the downscaling to SD. There are many applications and software that will do this, some very much better than others. If you can lay your hands on the BitVice DVD encoding software that automatically does a downscale before encoding and the results are very god indeed.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 23, 2011 at 7:32:56 pm

Take a look at this article I wrote. It explains how to get the best transfer from HD to DVD.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 25, 2011 at 12:21:46 pm

Brad, on trying to read your article The Cow tells me that she has lost her way, can you please talk to her and try and guide her, maybe she wants to be milked first?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 25, 2011 at 3:21:20 pm

Wow, I blew the html link code. Anyways, here's the article link:

http://www.lafcpug.org/Tutorials/basic_hdvideo_to_dvd.html

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]