FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cant Import .MOV into DVD Studio Pro

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Peruso
Cant Import .MOV into DVD Studio Pro
on Nov 17, 2011 at 3:33:52 pm

This is the strangest thing. I export my videos to quicktime out of FCP and this has always worked just fine. Now when I go to import them as assets into DVD SP it tells me incompatible format. I have always done this exact procedure and had no problems whatsoever. I tried trashing my plist, didn't do anything. Any thoughts?? Thanks for any help in advance!

Return to posts index

Filip Kubiš
Re: Cant Import .MOV into DVD Studio Pro
on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:54:20 pm

Do NOT NEVER use DVDSP for video compression. It is a function which should have been removed looooooooong ago! Do use Compressor to do this properly and there will be no errors. So what you want to do is put your MOV into Compressor and use on Present according to the length of your project (for instance DVD 90 mins High Quality). And than put the m2v and ac3 into DVDSP and there you go...

And when you are there read DVDSP manual which you will find in my signature ;-)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
DVD bitrate calculator: HERE
DVD Bit Budgeting tool: HERE
Dual-Layer Break tutorial: HERE
Anti-aliasing PS plugin: HERE
Other very useful stuff: HERE
DVDSP Manual: HERE

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:46:15 am

Filip, far better quality encode with BitVice in my opinion. VBR (around 6.5 average) with Double Pass will give a better M2V for processing in Studio Pro. Also, if the .mov is in HD BitVice does a very good downscale.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Filip Kubiš
on Nov 18, 2011 at 11:03:22 am

I totally agree with you :-) But from the first post I fugured that John is new in this stuff and most probably have no extra software, but since he is is talking about DVDSP project, there is Compressor installed on his computer. That is why I wrote as I wrote :-)

BUT in your reply there is not a single thing I would not agree with ;-)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 18, 2011 at 2:08:07 pm

I wrote an extensive and long article on which may help avoid these problems. It covers all aspects of getting HD video to DVD.

http://www.lafcpug.org/Tutorials/basic_hdvideo_to_dvd.html

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

John Peruso
on Nov 18, 2011 at 4:03:15 pm

Thanks a lot for all of your help. I'm lacking in skill when it comes to compression and need all the help I can get in that category. Im going to read all these articles and posts you guys put up, if you know of any others let me know please, appreciate all the help. In terms of software, I have Final Cut Studio 2 and the full CS4 Adobe suite. I've been using adobe media encoder, but not really sure which would be better or best to use...

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:16:48 pm

John, keep is simple. The key is to use 2 step encoding in the making of the m2vs. While Bitvice might be better in some cases Compressor is not a bad piece of software, it does suffer when you need to get the bitrate down below 4.5. But you have it and it does work.

First if you are working with HD movie you need to downscale it before you make the m2v. Then take the new SD movie back into Compressor and make the m2v. Make sure you get a bitrate calculator so you can make the most out of the encode. If you can use 6Mbps or above use CBR method of encoding verse VBR. ALways use ac3 for the audio. Which is why you should encode outside of DVDSP. Uncompressed audio is a waste of bitrate and can cause playback issues.

Return to posts index

Filip Kubiš
on Nov 18, 2011 at 4:15:43 pm

Perfect tutorial Brad!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:00:35 pm

[Filip Kubiš] "Do NOT NEVER use DVDSP for video compression."
I believe that means ALWAYS use DVDSP, that double negative thing. :-)

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 19, 2011 at 3:01:24 pm

Are you exporting with the same video codec? Here's my recommended workflow for transferring HD video to DVD.

http://www.lafcpug.org/Tutorials/basic_hdvideo_to_dvd.html

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]