FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Encore 1080p DVD Authoring

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hunter Hempen
Adobe Encore 1080p DVD Authoring
on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:44:48 am

Greetings,

Again, I've read "dumb questions" concerning authoring on here, and mine is similarly dumb since I'm a beginner at this.

I've easily burned 720x480p videos to DVDs in the past via Encore, but never HD footage. I brought my 1080p clip into Encore, and as you now, there is no HD option for DVD NTSC. I selected Blu-Ray 1080p despite this fact, and burned it to a regular DVD-R.

The menu works on a Blu-Ray player, and so does the first ten seconds of the clip, before cutting out at flashing all green for one minute, followed by a nice return to about a minute of actual 1080p footage (which looked awesome!) before cutting back out to flashing green and skipping motions.

So it seems to partly work, but the builing/burning process of the authoring seems to be hanging up on certain parts.

Can anybody tell me how I can get HD footage on a regular DVD via Encore CS4?
And if not, what the proper way to do so is?

Thanks!
Hunter

-----
Too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?
-Gaff
-----

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Adobe Encore 1080p DVD Authoring
on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:08:03 am

There is no such thing as an HD DVD. DVD is Standard Definition only. For HD you have to burn to Blu-Ray.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:16:51 pm

What kind of DVD with HD are you trying to make? Obviously, DVD-Video is out... that's SD only.

You have two real choices: just a plain old Blu-ray file system on DVD, or the slightly different AVCHD file system. AVCHD DVDs will play on most Blu-ray players, Blu-ray on DVD is far less supported. The reason is simple: AVCHD is a camcorder format, so most manufacturers explicitly support it.

I don't know anything about Adobe Encore, but general rules of DVDs and BDs, that I know. You can only count on 2x DVD support for BD players, which is going to limit your video on a high def DVD to about 18Mb/s. That's actually why nearly every AVCHD camcorder has a 17-18Mb/s mode. What you're seeing sounds an awful lot like you're exceeding this, and the drive just can't keep up.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Andrius Simutis
on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:58:06 am

HD DVD was a short lived format that didn't make it and isn't really viable anymore. HD content on DVD was an even smaller subset within that spec. BluRay content on DVD is possible with some major caveats, as you've just discovered.
If you have to deliver to a client you really can only go with standard def on DVD or Full HD on BluRay recorded to a BluRay disc. It's just not worth it to mess around with any of the dead or kindasorta almost supported formats. Buy an external BluRay player bundle from the VideoGuys and you'll be making real playable BluRays in no time. (If you're going to do advanced menus/popups/subtitles/etc or try to take your project to manufacturing, well then we'll be seeing a lot of you on the forums).
If you're just doing this purely for your own amusement then there are a few tutorials on the internets that will walk you through what's possible in more detail.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]