COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Legare
I have a doozy!
on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:59:36 pm

My specs:

FCE 4
Macbook pro (10.5.8) with broken superdrive

I am trying to create a DVD with approximately two hours of content. I can't use my own drive to burn, so I must export the QT movie as self-contained and do it on another mac?

OR

I have purchased the new final cut X and compressor, but I haven't bought the required operating system yet. Also, apparently FCX is not able to open FCE files. So, I must export with FCE, upgrade my OS, open Conpressor, export?

Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: I have a doozy!
on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:25:54 pm

Throw everything Mac in the trash and buy a cheap PC which has more and better authoring and encoding options :)

This is the wrong forum....head to FCP

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:16:14 pm

Do you just need a simple auto-play DVD or do you need to author something with menus/chapters, etc? Are you looking for the "best" option to just get it done or to solve your problem moving forward?

Return to posts index

Steve Legare
on Nov 8, 2011 at 4:21:03 pm

I need menus and chapter markers. The project is a concert performance by David Wax Museum. The performance itself is about 90 minutes, with 16 songs. There are also 3 behind the scenes featurettes.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 5, 2011 at 12:47:04 am

Why don't you just buy a new drive. you can get external drives for under $100.

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 6, 2011 at 2:50:47 pm

I think there is a drive sharing option that was created for the MacBook air. This would allow your old computer to see and use the DVD burner of another computer. You should always export your footage to a self contained Quicktime movie before submitting it to compressor.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so often hard to figure out what he is talking about. He is always happy to explain answers further.

Return to posts index

Brad Fox
on Nov 6, 2011 at 4:26:46 pm

It sounds like this is something you *could* do, except for the broken superdrive - right?

So why not just create the disk as a disk image - and then bring that file to a different computer... any Mac will do - Disk Utility will burn any standard image (img, dsmg, iso...) to a DVD.

Return to posts index

Steve Legare
on Nov 8, 2011 at 4:18:28 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm new to this and its been a major stress in my life.. first worl problems :)

Anyway, I'm hesitant to simply use idvd either on my own computer or another mac because I've done it once before a few years ago with very little success. The quaality was very poor, and way too grainy for this current project. The self contained quicktime movie is about 65 gb for the main feature alone, which is why I thought id have to use compressor at some stage. I will be sending a master disc to Sony for duplication, and need top notch professional quality, if possible. Any and all help is appreciated, I will be trying the above suggestions this evening, and look forward to any further help!

Thanks, and sorry for posting in the pc forum!

Return to posts index

Andrius Simutis
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:02:06 am

If you need "top notch professional quality" have you considered going to a professional? There are still people out there who specialize in compression and authoring.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]