FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Ripping Variables

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre Skinner
DVD Ripping Variables
on Oct 31, 2011 at 4:11:06 pm

I have a client that needs 130 feature length DVD's ripped and formatted for web, my best estimate to this point is to charge $25 per DVD as I'm estimating 30 minutes per rip/conversion. I'm a little nervous that I may either be over quoting or under quoting since I rarely do this kind of work.

Any suggestions on good software for this kind of job to do it fast and efficiently? Any comments on the time per DVD this job might take would be appreciated.

Andre
inkattack@rogers.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Really not the place for this sorta advice
on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:52:36 am

And I'm just assuming the client has the rights to all of this intellectual property. That said- google for ripping DVDs please....

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
Re: DVD Ripping Variables
on Nov 1, 2011 at 2:31:52 am

Are you on a PC or Mac? DVD ripping can be much faster than realtime if you have a fast enough computer and you aren't sending it to the web. It's the web encoding that is the issue. That could take a really long time depending on what quality level you need. If it's H.264 encoding, you probably need to look at a hardware solution.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so often hard to figure out what he is talking about. He is always happy to explain answers further.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Nov 1, 2011 at 4:26:08 pm

Hardware encoders are pretty much in the past. MPEG Stream clip is good for what you want.

Also, I'd just charge your hourly rate

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 1, 2011 at 4:30:39 pm

I would absolutely not recommend using MPEGStreamclip to encode H.264. It is still going through Quicktime which is much slower than a hardware encoder. Depending on your platform, I would get a professional DVD ripper that has good customer support. MPEGStreamclip freezes on many DVDs, causes audio sync issues, and drops frames randomly. Other than that, it's a great product.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so often hard to figure out what he is talking about. He is always happy to explain answers further.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Nov 1, 2011 at 7:07:15 pm

Not for encoding but for the extraction. Never had issued with Streamclip myself. It's the most used ans supported tool for this kind of work..... on the Mac anyway

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 2, 2011 at 2:41:05 pm

Here's a couple of people having problems with stream clip that you might not be aware of.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/999325

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:45:07 am

Seriously Bro.....At least state your bias before you bash the competition. Not a cool thing to do around here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]