PAL-M DVD for Brazil

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Edwards
PAL-M DVD for Brazil
on Oct 28, 2011 at 3:34:00 am

It is my understanding that Brazil uses the PAL-M format:
1. Is there such thing as a PAL-M DVD
2. What format should I author a DVD for Brazil players?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: PAL-M DVD for Brazil
on Oct 28, 2011 at 4:25:31 am

DVD is NTSC and PAL only.

Actually PAL-M is a derivative of NTSC so deliver that. Remember NTSC plays on almost all player worldwide.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Oct 29, 2011 at 12:58:38 pm

.... and PAL wont.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 30, 2011 at 9:02:04 pm

Oh no it doesn't, not here in London anyhow!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Gerry Mooney
on Oct 31, 2011 at 2:25:23 pm

I have a similar question: I'm in New York, and currently authoring a DVD that needs to play in Singapore. I've told the client that it will absolutely play on DVD players in Singapore but I'm still trying to confirm the best way to go about it. I did read the other day that NTSC content will play on most PAL players, and I see it repeated here, except for Michael's post. Is there a definitive answer?

"I'm not half-insect, I'm half-human!"

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:52:22 pm

Yes....almost all PAL players worldwide will play NTSC discs. There are a few exception models which I dont have in front of my right now. The only issue you might run into is if someone has an older TV

Gawd! You you imagine what would happen if people in Hong Kong and Singapore couldnt watch their pirated NTSC discs? :) Not that all pirated stuff is NTSC but a large majority of it is.

I personally have at least 300K NTSC units Ive authored floating around Europe with no issues.

Make sure your regions are Open. Remember when the Predident presented a disc to the PM which didnt play? The region settings were wrong. :)

Return to posts index

Gerry Mooney
on Oct 31, 2011 at 5:49:25 pm

Hi Eric, thanks for your reply. I have one other question because the dvd I'm authoring is a music video. I read somewhere here on a CC blog that playing an NTSC disc on a PAL player, the timing can change, i.e., the music will keep its pitch, but the play speed may not be correct. Can you tell me anything about this possibility?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 31, 2011 at 6:43:36 pm

No....thats only if you were doing a standards conversion before authoring.

Here's a good thread to read:

forums.creativecow.net/thread/55/860307#860308

Return to posts index

Gerry Mooney
on Nov 2, 2011 at 1:47:37 pm

Yep, that's a great read and very helpful.

This NTSC/PAL thing is a bit of a distraction. I've been working on this animated music video for three-plus years and focusing mainly on DV vs. HD, and making sure the file I output is correct for Adobe Encore, and to have all this come up right at the end (I'm delivering it in Dec.) is not something I want to be spending time on!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]