FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Playback on Windows (XP, Vista, 7)

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
DVD Playback on Windows (XP, Vista, 7)
on Oct 25, 2011 at 2:01:41 pm

I'm sure this has been addressed, but I couldn't find my specific question in the archive.

I'm having issues with people playing back DVD video discs on a PC. They want to open with Windows Media player (I'm assuming Vista or 7)

I work exclusively on a mac...so I don't have experience with newer PC's. What should I expect to come standard on a newer PC from a DVD Video playback perspective (assuming they have a DVD drive).

Does Windows media player out of the box play back DVD Video in XP? Vista? Windows 7?

Any links I can read up on to arm myself with better information to go out back to the people who are asking for this?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
Re: DVD Playback on Windows (XP, Vista, 7)
on Oct 25, 2011 at 2:46:08 pm

No, sadly it doesn't!
Windows has no build-in engine for DVD playback!
Install a proper DVD player software such as WinDVD, PowerDVD, or Arcsoft Total Media Player & you will be ready also with Windows Media Player! VLC-Player can playback DVD's, but there are issues with subpicture in menus!

Andreas Gumm
selfemployed media author

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 25, 2011 at 3:23:47 pm

Thanks for the response. I kind of figured that...but I thought that maybe with Windows 7, they had worked that out?

Just to clarify one more point that I am commonly asked. In regards to PAL and NTSC on SD-DVD's, either play back on any PC, regardless of location right? This only matters on a set-top box DVD player (but my experience is that most set-top boxes can play NTSC or PAL)

The only factor on a PC limiting playback is what region code the drive has, but this only matters if the disc is region coded...which most burnt DVD's aren't region coded (I don't region code my burns)...this is done more for the protection of theatrical movies.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Andreas Gumm
on Oct 25, 2011 at 4:04:19 pm

PAL & NTSC DVD's are working well on computers (PC or Mac based)!

NTSC DVD's can be played fine with 98% of the set-top box players in PAL country!
With players in NTSC countries is another thing! The adoption rate is simply low & most devices are not compatible!

Andreas Gumm
selfemployed media author

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]