FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unsmooth transitions and transitional effects on BLU RAY

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sivan Geyra
Unsmooth transitions and transitional effects on BLU RAY
on Oct 23, 2011 at 4:38:10 pm

I have a problem with transitional effects while authoring Blu Rays.
Here is my work flow:

Final Cut Pro 7
BORID Red Plugin (for the effects)
EXPORT SETTINGS: Quicktime Movie - Self Contained
AUTHORING TOOL: Toast Titanium 11
Mpeg4 AVC
Bit Rate: 8-16 mbps
Motion est: Best, Half PEL
rest is auto.

when I play the Blu Ray all of the transitional effects are unsmooth and laggy.
Any Suggestions?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Unsmooth transitions and transitional effects on BLU RAY
on Oct 23, 2011 at 8:51:18 pm

Hi Sivan,
toast is definitly not a good authoring-tool, it´s a burning-tool with (small) authoring-capabilities.

the best (and only) way to author a blu-ray on mac is adobe encore. to extend it´s features you can think about buying blustreak tracer.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 24, 2011 at 11:21:20 am

Danny, why is Toast 11 Pro not a good idea for making BD's? I use it for encoding and burning my ProRes 422 HQ QT .mov files and get great Blu-Ray picture quality. It's true that I don't need complicated menus etc, just basic top quality presentation discs for my documentaries, is Encore that much better for this and if so why?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Oct 24, 2011 at 9:13:59 pm

Michael,
if you just need a steady-to-go blu-ray and you are working with FCP7 you can create it with compressor, you don´t need to use toast at all.

that´s the most simple way at all.

toast do not create nice looking video-quality in all circumstances, that´s fact - but I know it´s easy to handle.

if you need more than "very simple" Blu-rays then Encore would be your best choice without a big learnig-curve.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 25, 2011 at 9:19:42 am

Danny, why does everyone always assume that all editing is done on FCP? I have found that Media 100 is by far preferable and that's over fifteen years of video editing, but we all have our own preferences.

Interesting that you feel that BD's look better from Compressor than Toast, have you viewed a direct comparison? I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to get the best picture and if Encore or Compressor give better quality than Toast then fine. I do though, only want a 'play and go' disc, nothing else, that's what festivals want. But picture quality is paramount. I'm shooting 1920 X 1080i (PAL) on a Sony EX 1 and editing in ProRes 422 HQ and encoding from the exported QT .mov ProRes file.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Oct 25, 2011 at 8:35:59 pm

Michael,
toast is ok, but in my most experience it doesn´t do good encoding-jobs.

why I´m talking about compressor?!

that´s very easy - because you can get it as single standalone-application and it got a simple preset for encoding+muxing a simple blu-ray disc, with or without a simple menu + burning it.

if you are asking about picture-quality - you can´t say: compressor is best on mac or adobe media encoder, or whatever...

all available encoders (PC+MAC) needs to be tested with your footage (short test with a reference-sceen), so you need to have a look which encoder would do the best job, or which picture you like most.

that´s what I mostly do for my customer.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Sivan Geyra
on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:22:41 pm

Daniel,
The reason why we are using toast is since we need to provide some sort of menu for our customers and toast gives us that option. We are considering Encore but only if Toast ends up not working for us. I'm now using compressor so hopefully that would fix the quality.
My new settings from compressor is H264 with best video quality. Also since the piece I'm exporting is only 10 minutes long I am trying to use uncompressed 10-bit.
any thoughts or suggestions?

Return to posts index

Sivan Geyra
on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:12:13 pm

Just an update for those who might have a similar issue in the future,
The problem layed in the sequence settings within final cut, field dominance was set to lower while the export settings was set to higher causing the effects to skip. switched the sequence settings to higher and re-exported, came out perfect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]