FORUMS: list search recent posts

Specific problem with DVD Studio Pro

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
German Izquierdo
Specific problem with DVD Studio Pro
on Oct 22, 2011 at 12:37:00 pm

Hi, I'm having an impossible problem. It's very specific and I can't seem to find the solution anywhere online nor in the manual. Here it goes:

I'm creating a SD DVD Menu.
The menus are motion based (video background) with very simple overlays (just lines).
The video backgrounds were exported through compressor as M2V using the default preset (90min Best Q) and the overlays are PNGs.

When I simulate the menu is fine, when I build it as an image and mount it on my desktop it's also totally fine BUT...

When I burn it into a DVD and play it on a DVD player something weird happens, when I jump from menu to menu the image becomes very pixelated and distorted (right when the ''jump'' happens, on that one second freeze all dvds have), then when the target menu appears everything looks fine.

Basically, the background becomes pixelated just at that one second freeze when jumping between menus. It's very annoying and I've never seen this happen before.

Also, I see this on the log, when building the DVD:

Warning: The file ‘DF_DVD_PROJECT.layout’ found in the VIDEO_TS or HVDVD_TS folder will not be included in the final disc.
Warning: The file ‘VOB_DATA.LAY’ found in the VIDEO_TS or HVDVD_TS folder will not be included in the final disc.

Thanks a lot for reading and here hoping you can help me,

G.

Return to posts index

German Izquierdo
Re: Specific problem with DVD Studio Pro
on Oct 22, 2011 at 7:31:18 pm

OK, I understand the Warnings are not a problem but just a note from DVD Studio Pro, and that they have nothing to do with my problem, so you can ignore that part.

But still I need your help with the Menu problem!

Again, thanks.

G.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 22, 2011 at 8:34:09 pm

A menu jump always causes a freeze and different players handle this better than others. They all normally do better with progressive assets. Do retails DVDs have similar problems (just to a lesser degree)?

Return to posts index

German Izquierdo
on Oct 22, 2011 at 10:19:20 pm

Hi Michael,

When you say progressive assets, do you mean going to Compressor - Inspector - Output Fields - Progressive? If so, I've already tried that with no luck. (Aso Deinterlace - Best (Motion compensated)

I've always noticed a short freeze but never seen the image get pixelated and/or degraded. And the DVD players I've tested on don't have the same problem with retail DVDs, so my only guess is that there's a problem with the encoding of my assets.

The original files are 1080p Apple Pro Res (HQ).

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Oct 23, 2011 at 9:16:37 am

hi from germany (funny name you have),
you might use a different disc-media (DVD-R instead of DVD+R, or other way round), depending on the media you´re used.

another possibility is to use other GOP-structure (open instead of closed) or IP instead of IBBP.

in general I´ve seen something similar with some players - mostly it´s depending on the players buffer.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

German Izquierdo
on Oct 23, 2011 at 12:02:43 pm

Hi Daniel, my name is actually from Spain and people do tend to get confused with your home country!

Anyway, I've tried different DVD media with no luck. Also, this issue only happens on some DVD/Bluray players, not all of them (although it's the majority).

I'm a bit familiar with GOPs and the structure, I have messed around with different combinations (open/closed, IP/IPB/IPPB, size, turning the options up to best, etc.) but I still see the problem. Do you have any suggestion as to what may be the best combination to fix it?

Regarding the buffer, I've also tried reducing the Max. Bitrate and again, no luck.

I've realized the problem is also present when skipping chapters in the actual movie, so I assume that confirms it's a problem with the compression settings...

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:19:44 am

Is there motion at the points you press a button?

Return to posts index

German Izquierdo
on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:12:19 am

Hi Eric,

It is a video but it is a static shot, with no moving elements in it. So technically there is motion but on a quick look it looks like a static image.

And this happens when skipping chapters in the actual movie, whether there is motion or not, although it is more noticeable in the ''static'' shots.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]