FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro: Interactive Menu feature need advice!

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Collins
DVD Studio Pro: Interactive Menu feature need advice!
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:43:51 am

Hi there,

I would like to create a menu in DVD SP4 in which when a button from the chapter selection menu is highlighted, a mini-preview of that chapter appears in a box to the right of the chapter selection menu. It would be one box to the right of the menu that displays a different preview for each menu selection. Can you refer me to guide for this or let me know the steps i need to take? Many many thanks.

Tim

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: DVD Studio Pro: Interactive Menu feature need advice!
on Oct 20, 2011 at 4:13:14 pm

Look at the tutorial on using layered menus in DVDSP

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 20, 2011 at 6:44:47 pm

Layered menu will do this if you just want a still of the image (and no audio for the menu). There is no way to do it with a motion menu and audio. It is outside of DVD specs.

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Oct 21, 2011 at 3:03:50 pm

Michael is right in principal, that such a thing is not directly possible in the DVD spec. There IS a way to do something similar within spec, but it won't work quite as seamlessly as it would in a web page rollover/popup type of way, which is what I assume you want to do.

To do it, you would have to create one menu page that has the menu choices on it, without the popup video thumbnail window. Then you would have to create separate menus for each menu selection with the popup thumbnail window. Remember that motion menus are nothing more than video that you can put button files over the top of. Then program the DVD such that when you select an item, it jumps to the menu page with popup window for that item. There will be a bit of a pause before it jumps, and if you have audio running it will quit and have to restart with audio on the new menu page. Then when you select the next item, it would jump to THAT selections' menu page. So it's possible, but not really practical.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 21, 2011 at 4:16:49 pm

Add to the not right category, if your DVD is played in a computer it will not auto jump to your "pop up" menu, the user clicks the button, then it jumps to the pop up menu when the user thinks they selected what the button says.

While you can say, it can be done, it is a horrible user experience all the way around. It SHOULD NOT be done.

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:31:03 pm

Agreed, it should not be done.

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Tim Collins
on Oct 21, 2011 at 9:17:08 pm

Right on, thanks you guys, that solves that question!

I'll try to figure out a creative alternative.

Cheers,

Tim

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 23, 2011 at 1:49:05 am

Just to add: Layered menus and what Rod is explaining are really the same thing as far as the spec is concerned

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]