FORUMS: list search recent posts

deadline. DVD problems -- image cut off, shaky text, "blurry" menu

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
elise london
deadline. DVD problems -- image cut off, shaky text, "blurry" menu
on Oct 11, 2011 at 6:54:14 am

Hello out there,
I am working on a deadline tonight for a DVD I've authored for a client, with video I've edited. To start off -- it's been a couple years since I've had to make DVD's and am not an expert in DVD specs. I am working in DVD Studio Pro. Some of my material originated as 29.97, some as 23.98. I created 23.98 MPEG2 assets within Compressor (since I think it is better to go 29.97 --> 23.98 than the other way around)

My client has come back to me with the following notes, and I'm scouring for answers:

1. Text on black, and subtitles are shaking when viewed on TV screen with DVD player
2. Menu looks blurry when played on computer, and on TV screen with DVD player
3. Part of the image is cut off on the left when viewed on TV screen with DVD player

Regarding number 3, all of the content is 16x9. In DVD SP, for the video tracks, I've set the display to 16x9 Letterbox. And the image dimensions look fine when I try playing the burned DVD on the computer.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: deadline. DVD problems -- image cut off, shaky text, "blurry" menu
on Oct 11, 2011 at 9:40:21 am

1. Hard to say without seeing the menu and not know your workflows. It could be your text is too small and your client is seeing the interlacing

2. Again, no way to know

3. Did you account for Action/Title Safe?

But seriously.....Im not being nasty (really, Im not ) but why are you doing a DVD for a client with little or no DVD experience? Would you hire an editor or camera person who wasn't experienced?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: deadline. DVD problems -- image cut off, shaky text, "blurry" menu
on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:32:31 pm

Technically, there is no 23.98fps in DVD -- there is 29.97fps with the 3:2 pulldown flagged. So I would encode the 23.98fps footage as 29.97 in Compressor. (Converting 29.97 to 23.98 is a difficult and nasty-looking conversion no matter how you do it, unless the footage originally was 23.98 at one point. Then you can strip the 3:2 pulldown.)

How are you creating the artwork for the DVD menu? The answer to your blurry menus probably lies in your workflow.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]