FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Authoring 101

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Kiel
DVD Authoring 101
on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:35:34 pm

Hi, I'm new to the entire process of authoring & duplicating DVD's and was hoping to get some advice.

I've finished an HD short film project that's exported at about 10GB (too big for a DVD) and am wondering what the best options are for compressing for DVD viewing? At the moment it's a .mov, straight out of FCP.
Although I have other compressed editions I was hoping to get the nicest possible output for submitting to festivals.

I have DVD studio pro & could get access to Compressor if this helps, although my personal copy of compressor has never installed properly...

I also don't know the first thing about authoring the DVD.
I've got a budget of $zero but would be willing to scrape some money together if absolutely necessary

If you could point to the best tutorials for all the aspects I'd appreciate it.
I need to get at least a few decent qualities ones together asap however, and then I can focus on producing better quality DVD's for further distribution.

I appreciate it, this site's been helpful before, although this is my first post.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: DVD Authoring 101
on Oct 9, 2011 at 10:24:04 am

I have no doubts personally that you would do any better than to use BitVIce for your encoding of your DVD. I use it all the time and the new version has a great downscale capability as well. I merely drag my ProRes HQ 422 QT .Mov file into BitVice and it does the rest -wonderful. It does the audio at the same time.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: DVD Authoring 101
on Oct 9, 2011 at 8:09:16 pm

Russ,
the real first thing you need to know is to make a bitbudgeting before you start encoding your assets.

NEVER use quicktime-movies within DVD Studio, and also don´t try to edit with any DVD authoring-suite. It´s not an editing-suite.

DVD+/-R media couldn´t give you the full bandwith that DVD-specs allow, you need to have a max. bitrate at peak-rates of 8.5Mbit/s (video and audio).

replicated DVDs could have up to 10MBit/s.

allways use MPEG2 and dolby AC3 or maybe DTS audio. nearly 80% of all failed DVDs that I´ve seen dependending on uncompressed (PCM) audio.

make sure that you allways using a track as a firstplay-item and not to go to menu.

that´s for now - you will find more help on the DVD Studio Forum.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]