FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro - replication company reports errors on disk

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan King
DVD Studio Pro - replication company reports errors on disk
on Sep 28, 2011 at 8:22:26 pm

I did some searching around and couldn't find much on this so I apologize if this has been answered before.

I built my first DVD studio project for a LASIK company a few weeks back. Yesterday I get a PDF sent back to me from them saying that the replicator is having issues verifying that my disk will work once stamped.

I burned the disk from a .img export out of DVD SP. The disk plays fine in simulation, fine in DVD player on my mac, and fine on a normal DVD player, but has trouble playing videos I select in the menu on my Bluray player. I updated my Bluray to make sure it wasn't the firmware, but I read somewhere that these errors should go away after replication from the glass cast.

Still, I can't discount this as my Bluray player plays all my movies on DVD perfectly, so I have some issues going on for sure.

Here is what the log says VIA Eclipse's software verification tool:

Mode Count Description
[i] 1 Advanced UDF analysis
[i] 1 DDP level 2.00
[i] 1 DVD
[i] 1 DVD-R
[i] 1 ISO9660 Data
[i] 1 Joliet Extensions
[w] 1 Missing UDF
[i] 1 Number of Audio Title Sets (0)
[i] 1 Number of Video Title Sets (19)
[i] 1 SSCRST 0 (Src not encrypted, tgt not encrypted)
[w] DVD 1 Video Manager IFO and BUP files in same ECC block
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 1)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 2)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 3)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 4)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 5)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 6)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 7)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 8)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 9)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 10)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 11)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 12)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 13)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 14)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 15)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 16)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 17)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 18)
[e] DVD 1 Title Set files not in correct physical order (VTS 19)

I contacted Eclipse but I'm not sure if they know how to proceed in DVD SP. Leo (the rep I spoke to) said that it looked like I burned the DVD as a Data DVD and not Video. So maybe it is how I am burning? I did a build/burn but exported to an .img file, which I loaded into Disk Utility and burned the file to DVD.

So here are my questions:
Is the error from my burning after export as a data disk? OR did I mess something in the project up to make it create all the files as DVD-Data instead of DVD-Video (like I said, i dont know if that is possible).

If I export a DDP file instead of the .img and burn that to DVD, would that work for the replicator company?

The project was SD-DVD to begin with and is 4:3 with 16:9 Letterbox.
Ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan K.

Mac Pro Quad
OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Wherever you go... there you are.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: DVD Studio Pro - replication company reports errors on disk
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:20:26 pm

You want to deliver DDP Files on a pen drive. Avoid writeable discs for delivery

Return to posts index

Ryan King
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:54:03 pm

Eric, I'm glad it's you whom replied!! I have seen your posts about CC when searching for my problem in the authoring department. :)

So do you think from the error log that I should just deliver a DDP file, or is there something else I should be looking for in my project? Or did I probably gum things up thru user error?

The company has an upload process VIA FTP for the DDP files. Should I do the pen drive or is upload also ok? Both?

Thanks,
Ryan

Mac Pro Quad
OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:32:21 pm

Upload should be fine. The problem with writing to disc is that it can get scratched so easily. While these scratches are no problem for a playback disc (if minor) they are no longer good for a master.

Return to posts index

Ryan King
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:58:10 pm

Great! Thanks Mike! I'll do the upload tonight and hopefully we will be all good then. I guess it was the way it was burned. Maybe I'll have to finally purchase Toast instead of using .img files and Disk Utility.

Thanks for all the advice... I'll make sure to post my result from the replicator.

Ryan

Mac Pro Quad
OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:24:15 pm

NEVER master with an .img file. The safest way to do it is to write a DDP 2.0 file and then use anything that doesn't go to an optical disc. The problem is with a DVD-R is the media itself, it is highly susceptible to scratching. These scratches may not cause a playback problem but will cause a mastering problem. Using Toast will not solve your problem.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:42:28 am

Yeah.....you burned the disc as a data disc..hence the errors. Your replicator should have known exactly what you did :(

FTP is fine

Return to posts index

Ryan King
on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:39:54 am

Excellent. Got it. I will make sure to either upload this file then (the DDP 2.0 Layer 0 file I have on my desktop right now), and if that does not work, send them a thumb drive. I don't have access to a DAT drive unfortunately.

Thanks again Mike!

Mac Pro Quad
OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Ryan King
on Sep 29, 2011 at 4:09:27 pm

Ok, now the replication house came back with some info I don't know how to comply with. Any advise would be helpful.

They Said:
"If you program for eclipse, this needs to be a MAIN DAT/DDP ID/CONTROL DAT DAT file with a Checksum.chk.
If you program for Cytris, this will need to be a DDP ID/CONTROL DAT DAT/IMAGE DAT DAT/DAT MD5."

I have made a DDP file, and in the "Layer 0" folder, there is a Control.dat file, DDPID file, and Main.dat. I don't have "checksum.chk" though.

Did I miss something, or should that work to send on?

Ryan

Return to posts index

Ryan King
on Sep 30, 2011 at 4:45:57 pm

Nevermind,

Found my answer in CC.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/155/880538

DVD Studio Pro can not create a checksum.chk file... PERIOD.

Thanks!

Mac Pro Quad
OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Ryan King
on Oct 5, 2011 at 10:50:10 pm

Today as of 3:30 pm, the results are in.

I'm just posting my result to let anyone who stumbles on this in the future that the DVD PASSED!!

Here is how to do it:
In DVD SP, export DDP files to hard disk using "build/format" option. (creates a "layer 0" folder).
Using Toast, open a new DATA dvd project and select DVD-ROM (UDF). IT HAS TO BE UDF TO WORK!
Drag the "layer 0" folder you created to the DVD project in Toast.
Name the disk appropriately, and make sure your disk's tree looks like this:

Project Name (DVD Title)
-Layer 0
--Control.dat
--DDPID
--Main.dat

Insert a blank DVD-R and burn! Make sure not to touch the media side of the disk, only hold by the edges. A scratch on your DDP DVD can cause errors (reported in the forums).

There is no way to proof to make sure that your DDP files will be readable correctly with out the use of special software ($600+), so just send this on to the burner is a nicely sealed package. If you need the results of the burn, you can ask your duplicator/replicator for a PDF of the disk results, but if nothing else, they should tell you if it was PASS or FAIL!

Good luck!
Ryan

Mac Pro Quad
OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 5, 2011 at 10:57:44 pm

Good recap. You are totally correct about not touching the media. That is why using a thumb drive is such a good idea. Adds about $20 to the project. So many people can handle your disc, just don't have that worry with a drive.

Return to posts index

Ryan King
on Oct 5, 2011 at 10:58:10 pm

I also want to state that the only reason I did not do the upload or the Thumb-drive/Hard-disk is that the replicator said that their system is not allowed to transfer media from the drives locally, and MUST use a master disc.

Check to see if your replicator does this, and if not, you may want to switch if they have problems with your DATA-UDF dvd!

Ryan

Mac Pro Quad
OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 5, 2011 at 11:20:26 pm

What, that is crazy. what is the difference of mounting a USB drive over a DVD Disc, they both mount and have files that are getting copied over.

I know some replicator that tell everyone they actual prefer a playable DVD-R disc for a master.

Return to posts index

Ryan King
on Oct 6, 2011 at 3:37:38 pm

I don't know if they mount the files directly off the hard disk, or read from the thumb. If they are copying them locally, I guess putting them on the desktop or in their files might be forbidden? I know thumb drives are slow to write, but not to read. I don't get it either. Hey, it's what they requested... I'm just glad it worked!

Thanks again for all your help! I couldn't have got started in the right direction with out you!

Ryan

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jan 9, 2013 at 7:08:00 pm

Hey Ryan,
Let me start by saying thanks, because this thread is saving me a ton of time and headaches. The sad thing is CSS is still alive in 2013.

My question is about the process of creating the CSS flagging in DVDSP. In the inspector under the Region/Copyright tab there is a Copyright Management option. Do I need to do the following...

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 9, 2013 at 7:29:52 pm

Yes but then you have to burn the project to your hard drive as a DDP 2.0 file. This can be delivered to the replicator on a hard drive or thumb drive. You can also burn the ddp folder onto a data DVD but that is the least relabel media.

Return to posts index

Ryan King
on Jan 9, 2013 at 11:42:56 pm

Just as Michael said, you'll have to make a DDP 2.0 file and put on a drive. CSS is encryption that will not write correctly to a DVD-R and cause errors. You'll want to otherwise burn like I have described above to if going to optical.

Mac Pro Quad
OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Ryan King
on Jan 9, 2013 at 11:40:18 pm

Michael is the master, listen to him. It all boils down to this:

You do not need to have copyright management on unless you want to protect the DVD from being ripped. I would leave as is unless told otherwise. You may check with your replicator too as mine asked for that to be unchecked. They said their process would add that on and indeed a copy of the disk was right protected.

As for CSS, you'll want to keep in on if your project is in standard definition. If you are creating an HD project (unlikely) you'll want to uncheck it as it can cause an error or flag with the replicator. That is only if you are exporting a file to be put onto a media other than optical!! Basically, CSS is encryption and is not compatible with DVD-R media. If you want to burn to DVD, you'll need to uncheck it. Your replicator will use your files to create a CSS encrypted disk.

Ryan

Mac Pro Quad
OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jan 10, 2013 at 12:02:00 am

Ryan,
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I do need CSS. I guess I wasn't 100% sure that checking the box was the same thing as flagging the DVD.

My plan was to check the box for CSS, export to a DDP 2.0, put on a hard drive, and ship the master. Would I need to put on a DVD in UDF? Or was that only because your replicator called for it? There are only 2 or 3 replication plants in the USA, so chances are we are using the same spot. Mine uses Eclipse as well.

Return to posts index

Ryan King
on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:27:47 am

Yep! You are fine! If you send that to them on a disk they should be able to use the file. Just make sure that you don't alter the file structure and give them all the files it outputs. When they are finished with the file, have them send you a PDF report of the master. They are very educational and it's very reassuring when you can see what all passed.

Mac Pro Quad
OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]