FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD STUDIO PRO ISSUES- Once burnt glitchy and speeded up

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kyle willmott
DVD STUDIO PRO ISSUES- Once burnt glitchy and speeded up
on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:07:44 am

hey guys

Need some help. Run a small production company and am having major problems with DVD studio pro.

I edit in final cut pro 7, send to compressor, compress as MPEG2 dvd best quality. I then import to dvd studio pro settings are SD and NTSC. Then once i burn the dvd comes out as being glitchy and appearing pixelated. At times it appears the images are moving oddly quickly too?
However if i compress through fcp as a regular quicktime then import into dvd studio pro this does not happen, however the quality is greatly diminished as we work in HD using Sony cameras!

I never use to have this problem so am at a complete loss!

I need help asap as have clients waiting

Thank you in advance

Kyle

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: DVD STUDIO PRO ISSUES- Once burnt glitchy and speeded up
on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:05:52 pm

Kyle,

Encoding at best quality in Compressor can produce bitrates that are quite high, causing playback issues when the project is burned onto DVD-R. I like to keep the bitrate for the MPEG-2 around 6-7 Mb/s. If the DVD player shows bitrates around 9-10 Mb/s, you will have playback problems on all but the most robust DVD players. You can get away with high bitrates only on a replicated discs, as those are much easier to read in the DVD player.

The other sources of your issue might be the DVD-R stock or a DVD burner or player with a weak laser or dirty optics.

Many people on this forum have commented that they get better encodes by exporting an SD Quicktime from their HD FCP project, and encoding that in Compressor.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

kyle willmott
on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:18:13 pm

Hello Bill

Thank you for responding.

This is what the file reads once compressed:

Sequence 1-MPEG-2 6.2Mbps 1-pass.m2v

So the bit rate is under 9.

I have exported through fcp and straight into dvd as a quicktime but the quality is just not good enough!

You suggest exporting from fcp as a quicktime and then running it through compressor? Which quicktime codec would you suggest? Also won't this ultimately effect the quality once more.

I will test the dvd drive we are using to burn, however we are burning from the latest imac, less than a year old. Also when we burn a quicktime onto a disk these glitches do not occur, so i guess that rules out the dvd drive.

kyle

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Sep 8, 2011 at 6:10:54 pm

Your bit rate is OK. No problem there. Did you play through your MPEG-2 encode to see whether the file looks good? If it is, that eliminates the encoding as the source of the problem. The quality you see in the MPEG file should be what you see when the DVD disc is played. Then you want to look later in the chain for burning issues or DVDSP problems.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Sep 8, 2011 at 7:52:15 pm

Your bit rate is OK. No problem there. Did you play through your MPEG-2 encode to see whether the file looks good? If it is, that eliminates the encoding as the source of the problem. The quality you see in the MPEG file should be what you see when the DVD disc is played. Then you want to look later in the chain for burning issues or DVDSP problems.

You can export from FCP to Compressor using Uncompressed 8/10 bit or ProRes/ProRes HQ codecs for best results when downconverting to SD.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 8, 2011 at 10:06:19 pm

Kyle, I realise you may not want to start with new software but I find that using BitVice for my DVD encoding gives the best results. I set for VBR at an average of 7mbps with two passes and have never had a DVD not play in a variety of players. BitVice now prepares the audio ac3 files at the same time as the m2v video.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]