FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can i put hd video on standard Dvd if used as a thumb drive?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
micah bowen
Can i put hd video on standard Dvd if used as a thumb drive?
on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:59:08 am

Can i put hd video on a standard dvd if used as a thumb drive and if so can i make menus like i have seen on a cd?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Can i put hd video on standard Dvd if used as a thumb drive?
on Sep 2, 2011 at 3:08:25 am

If you are making a SD DVD your video will always be converted to SD.

If you want HD content with menus to be able to be played back on Mac and PCs you have to work with Flash or Director. Not the easiest apps to learn.

Return to posts index

micah bowen
on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:36:57 pm

if i use a thumb drive i can play HD just fine on any computer, why can't i do the same if i use a dvd as a thumb drive?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 2, 2011 at 5:46:08 pm

Your post is a little confusing. If your are making a SD DVD then no it will not be HD, if you are just wanting to put files on the disc then yes you can put HD movies but then you should not be referring to it as a SD DVD it is just a DVD disc. But we have to do your menus like I said with programs like Flash or Director.

Return to posts index

Filip Kubiš
on Sep 2, 2011 at 8:12:53 pm

[Michael Sacci] "Director"
Would you be so kind pointing me to the application? Some URL or so? Googling Director will not help much :-)

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 3, 2011 at 1:26:53 am

http://www.adobe.com/products/director/

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Sep 3, 2011 at 4:15:03 am

I translate "used as a thumb drive" to mean "plain old DVD-ROM, not a DVD-Video disc". Yes, of course he can store any computer data he likes on a DVD, if the goal is not to get a set-top DVD player to pay that video.

-Dave

Return to posts index

micah bowen
on Sep 3, 2011 at 2:51:59 pm

is there such a thing as a SD thumb drive?? i didn't think so, so when i use a DVD, and the computer asks me if i want to burn it as a DVD or use it as a thumb drive, i choose thumb drive so then my file is put on it just like it would be if i put it on a thumb drive, my question is "so why isn't it HD when I use the DVD Like a thumb drive?, simple really!

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Sep 2, 2011 at 4:52:08 am

You can always just drop some HD files on a DVD. No menus, unless you include some kind of application. It's quite possible to hack something up in HTML that'll launch your video file, then include some auto boot stuff to automatically run under Windows. And possibly a different set of these for MacOS or Linux or any other OS you want. And, needless to say, this will only play in a PC.

Another alternative is to author an AVCHD disc. AVCHD is the common format used for Flash memory and DVD camcorders, of course, but it's actually a derivative of Blu-ray. The video has to be AVC (18Mb/s for less), the audio has to be AC-3. I haven't run into any sophisticated authoring tools for AVCHD, though Nero's disc burning suite contains a very rudimentary one. You can play around with the free MultiAVCHD application if you just want to get HD video on a DVD.

The advantage to this is that these will play on most Blu-ray players, as well as PCs with AVCHD or Blu-ray player software. For those that don't, there's of course an MPEG-2 transport stream file (m2ts) with the audio and video multiplexed, which most modern OSs play.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]