FORUMS: list search recent posts

CD/DVD printer

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
CD/DVD printer
on Aug 17, 2011 at 5:08:16 pm

I need a more trouble-free printer than the Epsons I already have (R380, RX680). They work, but they're cranky -- sometimes taking a bit of cajoling to get into DVD printing mode (especially when I'm rushing to meet a FedEx deadline).

I've checked the archives, and found favorable reviews of the Bravo printers. But what about the ink life, and cost per DVD of printing? They seem to have the single color cartridge, which means that when any one color goes low, you need a new cartridge, which isn't cheap.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: CD/DVD printer
on Aug 18, 2011 at 4:17:30 am

That's about the best I know- or consider outsourcing the discs entirely- that's what I've been doing for years now. CDPrintExpress.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Aug 18, 2011 at 11:48:41 am

[Noah Kadner] " CDPrintExpress."

I outsource too, when I have the lead time, and thanks for the lead.

For quality reasons (both video and print quality) I've standardized on Taiyo Yuden waterproof white DVDs. Do you know what CDPrintExpress uses? At any rate, you must be very happy with the results.

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Aug 18, 2011 at 2:49:52 pm

I had issues with the DVD printing capabilities of an Epson R200. Same finicky problems. But when I went shopping around, the model that kept coming up was an all-in-one Epson Artisan 835. When I saw it on sale I decided to give it a go. The dvd tray is now built in and I haven't had any issues with it. I would recommend it for light duty dvd printing.

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

• Living my life one frame at a time •

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Aug 18, 2011 at 4:41:51 pm

[Bob Cole] "I've standardized on Taiyo Yuden waterproof white DVDs"

Thanks for the recommendation; the DVDs I previously bought aren’t giving me good results when printing the labels on my Canon 9500 Mark II but hopefully this will be better:
http://sourcerite.com/content/jvctaiyo-yuden-dvd-r47gb-16x-photo-grade-whit...

Please let me know if these are the ones you use and if I can print right up to the very small hub as I want as large a print-area as possible. Thanks again.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Aug 18, 2011 at 5:41:29 pm

[Rick Lang] "Please let me know if these are the ones you use and if I can print right up to the very small hub as I want as large a print-area as possible."

I don't think they're exactly the same, but that doesn't mean they aren't fine. The part number for my DVDs is DVD-WPPSK 16-HC, and then the description is "-R White hub inkjet 16x hard coat recording surface MID: TYG03."

I get them from a very small outfit, Genesys DTP. The owner knows his stock very well and can advise you.

They are printable right to the hub. I really like them - I rarely have an issue with burning them (I suspect, when I do, that it is a software issue). And I can't recall having had one returned for non-readability.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Aug 18, 2011 at 8:37:08 pm

Thanks so much, Bob. Found them in Canada for $42.95/100:
http://www.blankmedia.ca/DVDR-16X-JVC-TAIYO-YUDEN-HARD-COAT-WHITE-INKJET-HU...

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 19, 2011 at 2:14:51 pm

CDPRINT uses Everest thermal printers. Dang expensive but looks way better than any inkjet disc I've ever seen.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]