1920x1080 24p to SD pal DVD.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Curran
1920x1080 24p to SD pal DVD.
on Aug 15, 2011 at 8:03:43 am

Hi all,

My first creative cow forum Post!

I was wondering if anybody would be able to give me some advice on my HD (1080p 24fps) to SD (720X576 Pal 25fps) DVD workflow. I’ve been trying to get my head round this for a few days, I experimented with a number of different methods, (3rd party plugins etc.) and ended up going down a bit of a compression/downscaling rabbit hole… in the end I opted to just use Adobes tools and try and keep it simple.

I would be grateful if anyone could let me know, if I’ve gone completely the wrong route:

Ok, so to make a standard def. Pal DVD from 1920x1080 24p:

Edited natively (H.264) in Adobe Premier CS5.

Time line brought into After Effects CS5, Necessary Post work done; at this point the Comp settings match the native footage.

Created a new SD Comp 720x576 pal wide 25fps.

I Nested the HD comp into the SD Comp and scaled it to fit, but allowing a couple of pixels to be left outside the comp on the top and bottom rather than squeezing it

Rendered out the SD comp as a Lossless Avi.

Brought the Avi into media encoder and created mpeg2DVD files. Using these settings: pal high quality wide 720X576 progressive. Quality 5, render at maximum depth cbr 8, and used maximum render quality.

Then brought the mpeg2dvd files into encore. Opted for the don’t transcode option (as this was done in M.E.) and burnt the disk.

I would really, appreciate any input,

Thanks……

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: 1920x1080 24p to SD pal DVD.
on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:34:13 am

The best downconvert from HD to SD DVD that I know is BitVice. All done in one go from a ProRes 422 HQ QT .mov file, together with a great encode. My stuff is 1920 X 1080i shot at 25 fps so I'm not sure if yours will work but I imagine it would.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 15, 2011 at 2:05:29 pm

I generally start with a downconversion to ProRes/SD/16:9 first and that use that as my MPEG-2 source. Doing both downconversion and encoding simultaneously takes longer and in my experience has lower quality results.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 15, 2011 at 5:17:23 pm

It all depends on the encoding software. What are you using for your downscale? Many editing systems are not that satisfactory, whereas BitVice is exceptional and the new versions are much, much faster than they used to be.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jonathan Curran
on Aug 16, 2011 at 10:19:26 am

Thanks Michael and Noah for your reply.

i'm currently using a adobe/pc setup so using prores as intermediate is not an option.

the two options that i whittle it down too... are

(A)render out from after effects the native hd dimensions and frame rate and use Adobe Media Encoder to down scale down and alter frame rate to conform to the dvd (pal) standard. As Media encoder has changed the way it down scales(i think to conform with bbc) it leaves black bars on either side of the frame; in order to proportionately scale the footage accurately. (the black bars may not be an issue on tv's but i have to protect for projectors, so i'm not sure about this route. Plus, this method also distorts text noticeable more)

Michael, would bit vice have similar results? will it crop or squeeze?

(B) in After effects cs5, create a new composition with pal/wide(720x576) dimensions and drop my hd timeline into it, scale it fit horizontally, leaving about 3 pixels of information out on the top and bottom rather than squeezing it and distorting the image. then export that composition as a loss less codec that can be used to encode a mpeg2dvd.. and later be burned to disk..

thanks guys for your help....

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 16, 2011 at 6:37:08 pm

No idea I'm afraid Jonathan, you're losing me with most of this stuff. All I know is that BitVice does a great downscale and encode from 1920 X 1080i 25 frame PAL HD material.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jonathan Curran
on Aug 17, 2011 at 9:26:25 am

cheers Michael, ill check out BitVice. Thanks for the help guys,

Jonathan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]