FORUMS: list search recent posts

pal/ntsc

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Culleton
pal/ntsc
on Aug 11, 2011 at 12:12:00 pm

am i right in thinkng that if a DVD has to be both pal/ntsc compatible that i need to encode to both standards and it's double the authoring?

so a DVD5 will probabaly need to be DVD9?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: pal/ntsc
on Aug 11, 2011 at 12:47:13 pm

Double the authoring but they will be separate project on separate discs. Good news though.... ALL PAL players will play NTSC discs.

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on Aug 11, 2011 at 12:53:48 pm

how about if i just do an NTSC project, will that play worldwide?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 11, 2011 at 4:35:32 pm

Yeah.....I just said that :)

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on Aug 11, 2011 at 4:38:38 pm

:) thx

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:50:34 pm

Eric, but not the other way around I'm being told from America. I've had a film accepted by a festival in America and they insist on demanding an NTSC disc, either DVD or BD. They accepted a PAL DVD for initial submission which they obviously played. For the public exhibition they want all NTSC.

Is there an easy conversion, otherwise I'll not bother? I've got Toast 11 Pro, will that convert PAL to NTSC. I'm prepared to re import my HD file (ProRes 422 HQ) provided I can then do an easy conversion.

By the way, I thought that Blu-Ray did not differentiate between PAL and NTSC, obviously I'm wrong.

Thanks for any help or advice that you can supply.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 12, 2011 at 10:28:09 pm

Yes, US is for the most part PAL-less. Expect most people not to be able to play it.

IMO the best Pal to NTSC conversion is to convert your footage to 24p, just by retiming it. This change will not be noticable and you get a frame for frame conversion. This conversion should not be done in toast or any other authoring system. Use Compressor or similar to do this the image is also changed but the frame rate is what cause the most trouble.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 13, 2011 at 4:00:46 am

Compressor does an OK job of converting. I hear good thing s about Natress as well.

There is no PAL and NTSC in BD, only frame rates. Some tools and many people still use both terms but technically its 24/23.98, 30/60 or 25/50.

NTSC will play everywhere, PAL only on PAL set ups

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on Aug 13, 2011 at 8:15:00 am

so, NTSC is the world standard for DVD, because the US cant play PAL, how did that happen :)

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 13, 2011 at 5:19:04 pm

Oh C'mon....dont you know America is the center of the Universe? ;)

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on Aug 13, 2011 at 5:23:50 pm

hmmmnnn... since when?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 13, 2011 at 8:18:42 pm

Their (US) television pics are not as good as ours, neither are their programmes come to think of it. Actually, some American homes I've been in can play PAL DVD's on their players, I think the modern kit will play both.

My festival still insists on NTSC and I've been advised that the conversion is best done in Compressor and I'm being sent the settings.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 13, 2011 at 11:24:02 pm

[Michael Slowe] " I think the modern kit will play both."

Very few manufactured DVD, BluRay players and TVs in the US can play PAL. PAL playback is by far the exception to the rule. US needs to be thought of as NTSC only unless you are only delivering to a specific individual that states they are PAL compatible.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 14, 2011 at 9:36:29 am

Fair enough Michael,your info noted. It really is a ridiculous situation. Whatever happened to SECAM (French?) by the way?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 14, 2011 at 11:47:16 am

SECAM Is a hybrid of PAL. All SECAM countries have PAL Players.

To add confusion, there's PAL-M which is identical to NTSC except for some of the color info.

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on Aug 16, 2011 at 11:48:47 am

can someone please confirm the menu size for NTSC widescreen?

i have read.... 720x480, 1024x480, 848x480, confused!!!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 16, 2011 at 6:01:57 pm

NTSC is always 720x480 on a DVD. It is the shape of the pixels that change. 4:3 is .9 and 16:9 is 1.2. If you are using Photoshop it corrects for this as you build, as does any video graphic package. If you are doing it manually you start off with 854x480 (square), design then convert to 720x480, if you are looking at it in a photo program the image will now look wrong. Bring it into DVDSP set it to 16:9 and it will look correct.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 13, 2011 at 7:07:37 pm

I would agree when going from NTSC to PAL, it is the framerate that is the problem, but my suggesting you are not converting the framerate, but retiming the rate to play all the actual frames at a different speed. There is no real work here. The resolution is a minor adjustment. IF they have it it just save them some money.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 14, 2011 at 3:06:39 am

It was a joke John

Return to posts index

John Culleton
on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:58:01 am

@ eric... ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>