FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't fit onto dvd by 400mg. How do I compress to fit 8.9gb onto 8.5gb disc?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Duff
Can't fit onto dvd by 400mg. How do I compress to fit 8.9gb onto 8.5gb disc?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 5:43:49 am

I have rendered a video in Sony VEgas to mpeg2 template (Pal).

I have brought it into DVD ARchitect 5.0 and it's 8.9meg. But the largest discs I can use are dvd-r dl 8.5gb. (I can't use any +R's in my computer).

This is for my boss and I don't understand how to reduce it.

I took the menu out because there's only one video to play but that didn't make any difference.

I tried to burn straight fron VEgas but that said it would be 13meg!

I don't mind saving as a lesser quality but I don't understand how to do that. It needs to work on Pal tv and computers.

thanks,

Return to posts index

Amanda Duff
Re: Can't fit onto dvd by 400mg. How do I compress to fit 8.9gb onto 8.5gb disc?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 9:46:02 am

Just editing to clarify,

this is 3 hours of footage which has come to me on vhs and they just want it back on DVD. family footage, nothing official i'm nottoo worried what format I render in.

I'm trying to give it on one dvd instead of two but the whole thing is now taking forever. took 3 hours to capture, then nearly 3 hours to render in VEgas.

Now I just want to burn it and be done with it.

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
Re: Can't fit onto dvd by 400mg. How do I compress to fit 8.9gb onto 8.5gb disc?
on Aug 8, 2011 at 1:53:52 am

Amanda,

3 hours should easily fit on a 8.5GB disk. If you compress the video at an average bit rate of 5.9 Mbps or less it should fit on the disk. I don't use Vegas, so I'm afraid I can't speak to the specifics of how you would go about setting the compression rate on that particular piece of software.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:19:48 am

First place to look is the audio, for the audio is not ac3 encoded, do so and it will easily fit.

Return to posts index

Amanda Duff
on Sep 20, 2011 at 1:51:04 am

I am having this problem again.
audio is ac3.

Although, this time I'm trying to put 9.6 gb onto 8.7 - should that be possible?

Every time I bring the bit rate down in properties, it still says it's too big, even if I bring it down to 2.something! When does it 'reset' and accept the setting? When I try to burn?

I have 10 video tapes and if I put them through the video recorder and make dvd's I fit 2 onto every 8.5 gb disc but if I capture them into computer (throughy pinnacle mpeg2) then put into dvda, I cannot make it fit. So I am doing one per disc which is really really annoying. This work is for my boss - any help appreciated.

I think dvda isn't recognising that I've changed bit rate or am I doind something wrong?
thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:21:42 am

You don't just guess, you don't just try different settings. You need to find a bitrate calc and it will tell you exactly what bitrate you need to use. I can a custom built one so I cannot point you to any that are out there but others have posted recommendations simply google it.

If you are having your program do the encoding it may never reset, I don't use DVDA so I cannot say for sure. It is always best to encode your video outside the program, do you have Adobe Media Encoder? or I'm sure that Sony's package comes with something to use.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:15:07 am

You don't just guess, you don't just try different settings. You need to find a bitrate calc and it will tell you exactly what bitrate you need to use. I can a custom built one so I cannot point you to any that are out there but others have posted recommendations simply google it.

If you are having your program do the encoding it may never reset, I don't use DVDA so I cannot say for sure. It is always best to encode your video outside the program, do you have Adobe Media Encoder? or I'm sure that Sony's package comes with something to use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]